United Kingdom

University of Kent

93 rd
Young University Rankings 2015
301–350 th
World University Rankings 2018
My lists Watch video Official website
Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, United Kingdom

University of Kent

Cultural Studies and Media with Journalism

Cultural Studies and Media with Journalism at Kent is an innovative degree programme where we combine the study of these areas to explore the complexity of contemporary media and culture in our rapidly changing global society. This combined subject degree offers an academically rigorous approach to the study of mediated cultural forms, practices and technologies and their vital social, political and economic implications alongside journalism skills. Approximately 70% of the modules you take will be from the discipline of Cultural Studies and Media with the remaining 30% of modules from Journalism. The programme is entirely taught at the Canterbury campus, although you can select to study optional modules taught at Medway. You will examine a range of exciting areas, from digital media and journalism, to the creative and cultural industries, to social identities and sub-cultures. You will also be introduced to some of the basic skills journalists use. You will take core modules in reporting and feature writing and will have the opportunity to learn the essentials of media law. You will also explore journalism’s history and its relationship with parliamentary democracy. You will read examples of great reporting and consider some of the challenges facing journalism in the age of the internet.

  • Qualification
    Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)
  • Study mode
    Full-time
  • Duration
    3 years
  • Start date
    2018-09-01
  • Location
    Main Site,Canterbury