Royal Holloway, University of London

151–175 th
Arts & humanities Rankings 2018
197 th
World University Rankings 2018
Egham Hill, Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, United Kingdom

Mathematics with Philosophy

This three-year programme combines two of the most fundamental and intellectually stimulating forms of human enquiry. The idea of using mathematics to describe the universe was first introduced by the philosophers of ancient Greece but it is as relevant as ever today. Questions such as "What is a number?" or "Is mathematics discovered or invented?" are deeply philosophical. By studying both subjects you will not only master the skills of handling complex data and finding creative solutions to problems, but you will also be introduced to the beautiful world of abstract ideas, and encouraged to analyse challenging issues, question your assumptions and communicate your thoughts with clarity. You will gain a unique insight into the world of logic that bridges the two disciplines and you will open doors to a diverse range of career opportunities. Our modular structure gives you the flexibility to tailor your studies to your own interests, and we offer a friendly and motivating learning environment, with a strong focus on small group teaching. Mathematics is one of the oldest academic disciplines and yet it sits at the heart of modern science and technology. Led by experts in the field, our core modules will give you a grounding in the key methods and concepts that underpin the subject, as well as practical skills that are widely transferrable in the world of work. Our curriculum covers pure and applied mathematics, statistics and probability, the mathematics of information, financial markets, and more. You'll also learn about the fundamentals of ancient and modern philosophy, the philosophy of politics, and the art of argument and persuasion. We address some of the most important political, cultural and ethical issues in the world today and tackle fundamental questions about knowledge, reasoning, our views on the universe and the impacts they have on our lives. We also have a vibrant Philosophy Society. We take a uniquely collaborative and interdisciplinary approach to the subject, by looking beyond the confines of the analytic or European tradition to disciplines across the art, humanities and social sciences. You will learn from seasoned philosophers who are published authorities in their field. Your mathematical studies will make up 75% of your overall degree, while philosophy will contribute the remaining 25%. + Study two of the world’s oldest and most widely applicable academic subjects. + Learn from renowned mathematicians and inspirational philosophy teachers, with the flexibility to tailor your studies to your own interests. + Our Mathematics department ranks second in the UK for its research impact and fourth for world leading or internationally excellent research (Research Excellence Framework 2014). + Our philosophy courses are taught in a lively international community of students in the Department of Politics and International Relations. + Benefit from our strong focus on small group teaching. + We rank highly for overall satisfaction in the National Student Survey and 94% of our mathematics students say we are good at explaining things (NSS 2015).

  • Qualification
    Bachelor of Science (with Honours) - BSc (Hons)
  • Study mode
    Full-time
  • Duration
    3 years
  • Start date
    2018-09-17
  • Location
    Main Site,Egham
  • Fees & Finances
  • EU Year 1 £9,250
  • England Year 1 £9,250
  • Northern Ireland Year 1 £9,250
  • Scotland Year 1 £9,250
  • Wales Year 1 £9,250
  • Channel Islands Year 1 £9,250
  • International Year 1 £16,500