Founded in 1963, The Lally School of Management is a relatively recent addition to the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, which was founded in 1824 in Troy, New York. It began as a management program for volunteers and was originally housed in the Jonsson Engineering Center and the Lally Management Center, before moving to the larger Pittsburgh Building, which originally hosted the institute’s administrative offices, the library and the Geological and Mineralogical Museum.
Named after Rensselaer trustee Kenneth T Lally and his wife Thelma P Lally, he was an important member of the Institute’s community as a leader, entrepreneur and friend. Lally was known for saving the historic W&L.E Gurley Company (now Gurley Precision Instruments) and the couple gave $15 million, which was up until 2001, the largest gift in Rensselaer’s history.
Lally’s undergraduate and graduate students, of which there are 354 and 655 respectively, have the opportunity to apply the latest academic research to real-world problems, directly engage with big data using powerful computing resources and interface with leading scientists, engineers, architects, artists and entrepreneurs. This means students are prepared for the global, digital marketplace of the 21st century, experts in recognising emerging trends and becoming acutely aware of the role innovation plays in business.
Its nine-month master’s programmes are available in one of five pathways: business analytics, entrepreneurship, finance, management or supply chain management.
It also offers students to participate in the Paul J. ’69 and Kathleen M. Severino Center for Technological Entrepreneurship (SCTE) helps foster new generations of budding and successful entrepreneurs through outreach programmes, education and support systems.