Arts University Bournemouth

Wallisdown, Poole, Dorset, BH12 5HH, United Kingdom

Acting

**Our BA (Hons) Acting course will appeal to you if you are passionate about pursuing a performance career.** BA (Hons) Acting at AUB has been designed to recognise the power of performance to change people’s lives and the artistic, educational, social and political power of performance to facilitate understanding and growth in us as humans. We believe in each actor having their own voice as an artist and as a creator. This course shows you what it takes to turn natural talent into a career – and make dreams of performing on stage or film a reality. BA (Hons) Acting is highly a practical course and will show you how to make that dream a reality. **What you will study** The course is recognised by Drama UK, which champions quality drama training in the UK. We’ll give you practical insights and help you build motivation and self-discipline. Even the strong academic element is approached through practice to underline the vocational nature of this course. Our practical approach quips you for a variety of roles. You’ll learn the voice, movement and singing skills you need as a creative artist. You’ll try your hand at everything from classical acting to contemporary performance, on stage and on film. Professional opportunities for actors are increasingly broad and the course aims to address key concepts and skills that can be adapted to a wide range of performance media and contexts. In light of this, the course team does not focus upon a single methodology, but provides you with the tools to develop yourself as a professional and confident performer and individual. You’ll have plenty of professional and technical support and we encourage you to experiment and work collaboratively with other students on your own projects; this reflects what it is like to work in the creative industries and thus prepares you for the working world after graduation. The synergy of activity on the courses at AUB is an important part of your development as an artist and contributor to our national and global community. You will take part in across-course collaborations to put on entirely student-produced theatre productions ranging from Shakespeare to contemporary plays such as The Children's Hour by Lilian Hellman (Spring 2018), Alice by Laura Wade (Autumn 2017) and Into The Woods by Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine (Spring 2017). Approximately 75% of your time will be contact hours, including scheduled teaching sessions, but also supervised time in the workshop or studio. 28% of assessment for this course is coursework based and the other 72% is practical assessment. **By the end of the course you will be able to...** - Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of, and apply a wide range of physical and vocal skills in performance. - Understand and appreciate key performance genres, their place within the broader cultural context and their inter-relationship with theory and practice. - Participate in collaborative working situations that will develop your practical skills and the ability to work with others. - Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the professional and ethical behaviour (i.e. time management, discipline, rehearsal and performance protocols) expected in order to meet the demands of the performance industry. - Demonstrate an understanding of, and facility for, the business/entrepreneurial requirements of performance making (budgeting for performance, use of technology, live pitching, targeting key audiences etc.). - Demonstrate the ability to describe, theorise, interpret, and evaluate performance texts and performance events from a range of critical perspectives. **Studios and resources** Our BA (Hons) Acting students benefit from five specialist workspaces on campus. You’ll have access to acting, movement, music/voice and sound recording studios. We also have a fully-equipped black box theatre and a rehearsal and performance space in central Bournemouth.

  • Qualification
    Bachelor of Arts (Hons)/BA (Hons)
  • Study mode
    Full-time
  • Duration
    3 years
  • Start date
    2018-09-17
  • Location
    Main Site - Arts University Bournemouth,Poole
  • Fees & Finances
  • EU Year 1 £9,250
  • England Year 1 £9,250
  • Northern Ireland Year 1 £9,250
  • Scotland Year 1 £9,250
  • Wales Year 1 £9,250
  • Channel Islands Year 1 £9,250
  • International Year 1 £16,500
  • Qualification
    Bachelor of Arts (Hons)/BA (Hons)
  • Study mode
    Full-time
  • Duration
    3 years
  • Start date
    2019-09-16
  • Location
    Main Site - Arts University Bournemouth,Poole
  • Fees & Finances
  • EU Year 1 £9,250
  • England Year 1 £9,250
  • Northern Ireland Year 1 £9,250
  • Scotland Year 1 £9,250
  • Wales Year 1 £9,250
  • Channel Islands Year 1 £9,250
  • International Year 1 £16,500