OUR PEOPLE AND CULTURE
OUR PEOPLE AND CULTURE
We cherish our staff and see them as an invaluable asset to our University. We are motivated to attract, recruit, develop and retain top-quality academics and professionals with exceptional skills and academic backgrounds, because they are an indispensable part of our University’s growth and development.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Market Competitive Salary
- Market competitive salary which is equitable within a department, school and across the university.
- Tax holiday for staff from eligible countries, subject to government policy.
- Housing allowance, flight and relocation reimbursement for eligible staff.
- For further information, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org
- We offer competitive compensation and benefits plans and generous annual leave options to allow our staff to spend quality time with their families, while enjoying financial security.
- Annual leave: 47 days within one academic year for academic staff and professional service staff (public holidays included).
- Paid sick leave for staff: up to 30 calendar days within one academic year.
- Additional leave for staff, including marriage leave, maternity leave, breast-feeding leave, family planning leave, paternity leave, compassionate leave, and family matters leave.
- Various options for research and conference leave are also available.
- Suzhou Industrial Park Basic Medical Insurance (compulsory to Chinese nationals but optional for expats) and complementary commercial insurance.
- Expat commercial insurance plan with extensive coverage of physical, dental and psychological treatments with multiple options for hospitals and clinics.
- Please check this page for the most up-to-date hospital network.
- Family plans available for spouse and children with extensive benefit coverage.
- For further information, please feel free to email us.
- We provide education allowance (covering maximum 2 children) of up to 50,000 yuan per year per child.
- There are many international and public schools for you to choose in Suzhou, including:
- For more information on tuition fees and admissions policy please contact schools directly.
In addition, each summer break, we provide a summer children care service for our staff with children aged 3 through 6.
Personal Growth and Career Development
We offer our staff a host of options to fully explore and release their potential, including postgraduate education tuition remission, annual development reviews and promotion cycles, internal recruitment, research and practical application support, and talent development projects.
Each year we provide our staff with unparalleled professional training and professional development funds. We also conduct various events that support our staff’s career development.
The University regularly hosts panels on education reform and innovation, forums on children’s development and education, forums on management approaches and artificial intelligence, as well as learning sessions about bilingual teaching and research. Furthermore, there is also the annual Learning and Teaching Colloquium, which brings together practitioners from XJTLU and externally to share best practice in learning and teaching.
In addition, we provide our new staff with free Chinese language lessons. Staff are also provided structured support through the Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching and Supporting Learning in Higher Education (PGCert), a free postgraduate course resulting in Fellowship in the Higher Education Academy. The PGCert is an intensive reflection on professional practice in higher education delivered through various workshops designed to facilitate reflection on learning and teaching. The core modules are Learning, Teaching and Assessment, which covers the basics of theory and practice, and Pedagogical Research to Enhance Professional Practice, which asks enrolees to engage in action research. Enrolees also must complete one of two optional modules, Teaching in Transnational Contexts, which considers the unique learning ecosystem of XJTLU and the implications for learning and teaching, or Technology Enhanced Learning to Enhance Professional Practice, which asks enrolees to reflect on how to enhance learning and teaching through existing and future technologies.
Beyond the PGCert, a variety of other professional development offerings are available to staff throughout the academic year, such as workshops, seminars, and communities of practice. Topics are identified based on staff feedback, emerging pedagogical trends, and the unique challenges XJTLU faces as a transnational English as the medium of instruction institution.