Faculty Position in Syntegrative Education
- Full Time
School: Academy of Future Education
Department: Learning Institute for Future Excellence (LIFE)
Position: Assistant Professor of Practice, Associate Professor of Practice, Senior Associate Professor of Practice
Location: Suzhou, China
Contract Type: Fixed-term, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has over 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, among which about 1,000 academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
XJTLU is entering a new and exciting phase of its development as part of its strategic priorities for the next ten years. Adopting a new higher education model based on the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE), XJTLU is currently opening a new Entrepreneurial Education site in Taicang, part of wider Suzhou, where the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) is located. The Taicang site will be a pioneer of, and educational model for, the future campus in addressing challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution. Other new initiatives include new working partnerships with Xi’an Jiaotong University, the continued development of the four new Academies, and exploration of further potential locations to develop the SE model.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities, and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for UK and other institutional partners. At same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending the educational theory, best practice and culture from west and east.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
ABOUT ACADEMY OF FUTURE EDUCATION (AOFE)
The Academy of Future Education of Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is an educational innovation ecosystem that focuses on research, exploration, support, and dissemination of philosophy and best practices for future education. The core mission of the Academy is to impact education innovation and reform in China and beyond through a variety of projects and programmes, based on fundamental approaches in educational innovation and systemic development designed to contribute to the future of education. The Academy supports individuals and institutions at all levels, including all the K-15 schools as well as vocational education and higher education institutions.
Four units make up the Academy, namely the Department of Educational Studies (EDS), Institute of Leadership & Education Advanced Development (ILEAD), and Educational Development Unit (EDU), Learning Institute for Future Excellence (LIFE). Key projects of the Academy include the following programmes:
- Master’s and doctoral degree programmes in education
- Research projects on future education
- Education innovation community
- Professional development programmes for educational practitioners
- Student learning excellence support programmes
- Online-onsite hybrid learning environment and resources.
Learning Institute for Future Excellence (LIFE), as a university-level learning platform in the Academy of Future Education, is dedicated to the promotion and development of lifelong learning at XJTLU and in the wider community, as a response to opportunities and challenges of the future world. With this vision, LIFE’s support to students extends from pre-sessional stage through their whole university journey to their career development, covering their transition to the educational mode of XJTLU, transformation of learning styles and manners, and enhancement of global citizenship.
The learning platforms and programmes offered by LIFE are customized to the interests and needs of students at different stages, with special focuses on social innovation and entrepreneurship, digital literacy, interdisciplinary learning, sustainability education, and so forth. All the platforms and programmes are grounded in the student-centred and research-led learning mode of XJTLU and endorsed by the cooperation with both internal units in the institution and external partners ranging from local enterprises to international organizations. In this way, LIFE strives to enhance students’ capabilities to become global citizens with lifelong learning capacity, and to make contributions to the wellbeing of the future world.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Take the role of Programme Director for Industry and Enterprise Tailored Education (IETE);
- Develop and deliver the modules for Syntegrative Education, such as Research-led Learning Skills, Social Entrepreneurship and Innovation, and Project-based Learning;
- Liaison with partners from industries and enterprises to develop Syntegrative Education programs and initiatives;
- Promote the Syntegrative Education programmes and initiatives to students and the wider community;
- Assist in revising and enhancing existing curricula to incorporate Syntegrative Education principles and methodologies at the university level;
- Facilitate student engagement with Syntegrative Education by organizing workshops, seminars, and other learning opportunities.
- Support projects and activities of LIFE according to the planning of the department and work with other team members actively and professionally;
- Work closely with students to explore innovative practices for learning and teaching;
- Supervise Master’s students for their thesis writing;
- Provide academic advising to students;
- Workload expectation: 40% Teaching, 40% Professional Practice, and 20% Service.
- Doctoral degree in fields related to Syntegrative Education; or Master’s degree with rich experience of developing programmes of Syntegrative Education;
- Professional and rich experience of coordinating the collaboration between industries and educational institutions in terms of talent cultivation and development;
- Rich experience of designing and delivering learning projects and activities;
- Rich experience of teaching in educational or industrial contexts with positive feedback from learners and other stakeholders;
- Rich experience of leading teams and cooperating with stakeholders from different backgrounds;
- Clear understanding and acknowledgement of student-centred and research-led learning;
- Clear understanding of the characteristics and needs of Chinese students and international students;
- Passion for working with the students by offering guidance and advice on the development of their capacity for future industries.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
- Clear career development path with annual review.
- Professional development trainings are provided.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary in the market
- Allowance: XJTLU provide various month/annual/one-off allowances as
- Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Kids’ education allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Commercial insurance: international insurance plans customized for XJTLU staff and family members. (details refer to the University Policy)
- Paid holidays:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental Leave
- Working visa and residence permit in China:
- XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permit in China for the staff.
RESEARCH FUNDING SUPPORT
The university provides every new faculty member with Research Development Fund to encourage them to initiate research projects, and Research Engagement Fund provided to support their continuous research activities.
The university will also support all faculty members to apply for national, province and city level programs. These programs aim to support excellent scientists, both Chinese and non-Chinese-citizen, to work and carry out research in China.
Some of the programs are listed in the table below. Successful applications are based on the applicant’s educational background, academic/research field, research achievements, working experience, etc. The university will provide full support on the applications.
Talent/Research Program - Fund
- Outstanding Youth Science Foundation Project (Overseas)
- RMB 1-3 Million
- Innovation Leading Talent
- up to RMB 2 Million
- Outstanding Leading Talent of International Discipline
- 50% of Annual Package
- Young Leading Talent of International Discipline
- 50% of Annual Package
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application on our university website [HERE]. Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References