Faculty Position, School of Internet of Things (All Ranks)
- Full Time
School: School of Internet of Things, XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang)
Position: Faculty Position, School of Internet of Things (All Ranks)
Academic Discipline: Computer science, information science, electronics, artificial intelligence, networking and communication.
Location: Taicang, Greater Suzhou, China
In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has around 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, among which about 1,000 academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities, and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for UK and other institutional partners. At same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending the educational theory, best practice and culture from west and east.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
ABOUT ENTREPRENEUR COLLEGE (TAICANG)
In 2019, the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang) was launched, as a pioneers of, and an educational model for, the future university and campus in developing talents and leaders to meet local, national, and global challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution.
Developed in collaboration with the Taicang Municipal Government and industry partners, the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang) moved to the university’s newly opened award winning Taicang campus, within Greater Suzhou, in September 2022. As a result, there are opportunities at all levels for innovative academics in the fields represented by the following schools and education platforms:
- School of AI and Advanced Computing
- School of Intelligent Finance and Business
- School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem
- School of Internet of Things
- School of CHIPS
- School of Robotics
- School of Cultural Technology (part of the Academy of Film and Creative Technology)
- School of Film and TV Arts (part of the Academy of Film and Creative Technology, located in the SIP Campus)
- Entrepreneur and Enterprise Hub
ABOUT THE SCHOOL OF INTERNET OF THINGS
The School of Internet of Things is one of the 7 industry-themed Schools in the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang). Each School consists of an Education, Research and Development Institute (“ERDI”) for teaching and university-business research collaboration, a professional services centre supporting daily activities of students, staff, and business partners, and a School Affiliated Company jointly established by XJTLU and the School’s industry partner for practical on-the-job learning and teaching.
Industry Partner Overview
The School of Internet of Things has been jointly developed by the University and one of its industry partner – Eolane China, to deliver industry-themed programme(s).
Eolane Group is a leading French professional in electronic manufacturing services and original design manufacturing services, focusing on industrial control, medical, automotive, new energy, railway, defence, aerospace, IoT and other industrial fields. For more information please see http://www.eolane.cn/
The School of Internet of Thingsis adopting a new higher education model based upon the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE). SE is a new model developed by the University to address an increasingly networked and complex future of work in the 4th Industrial Revolution. The model is core to the University’s strategy for its next ten-year development focusing on innovation and entrepreneurship. SE aims to train syntegrative leaders with Management skills, International perspective, Discipline-specific knowledge, and adaptability in Industry (MIDI).
The position will attract individuals embodying these SE values and are passionate in engaging in a future-focused co-learning ecosystem comprising students, academics, practitioners, university, industry, and community. The School seeks academic members who thrive by creating impact through authentic engagement, cross-boundary collaboration, collective learning and discovery, and action-oriented inquiries. These creative educators adopt a systems mindset and use their knowledge, skills, and experiences to co-design and deliver an enriching educational experience for students. They view education as an integrative and life-long transformative process.
We are looking for future colleagues who can:
- engage actively with new educational models and embrace innovative, interactive, technology-enhanced learning, teaching, and assessment approaches;
- understand and have an entrepreneur and innovative spirit, in line with the ethos of the campus and college;
- supervise undergraduate and postgraduate students;
- Conduct high-quality industry-enhanced research and consultancy contracts, evidenced by contribution that output makes to industry, the economy, society, environment or culture, beyond the contribution to academic research.
- Maintain good, sustained, and successful research grants with impact measured by publications in leading journals and other research outputs.
- Support innovative cross-disciplinary research in line with the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) research themes, and become an ambassador for the School for the promotion of cross-boundary research and teaching activities.
- Promote, manage and contribute to the delivery and development of appropriate undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes to the required standards expected by the university academic regulatory framework, and where necessary appropriate professional, statutory and regulatory bodies;
- Promote best practice in relation to innovative assessment design across the School, ensuring efficiency and effectiveness in the delivery of appropriate assessment and feedback to meet the needs of all stakeholders;
- Engage actively with new educational models and embrace innovative, interactive, technology-enhanced learning, teaching, and assessment approaches; understand and have an entrepreneur and innovative mindset in line with College ethos.
- Contribute to the school’s teaching development through mentoring and supporting early career academics (Associate Professor and above).
- Ensure that the school and curriculum design delivers an inclusive learning experience, as evidenced through student satisfaction, personal development and positive degree outcomes, and to work with industry partners to achieve this;
- Provide administrative service to the School, the University, and its stakeholders.
- Undertake any other appropriate tasks assigned by the Entrepreneur College or University through the Dean of School or College Senior Management Team.
- PhD degree in computer science, information science, electronics, networking and communications, systems engineering or a closely aligned discipline to the Internet of Things; or be able to demonstrate an equivalent professional practice and engagement.
- Self-motivated for innovative teaching with knowledge of relevant developments in learning and teaching practices.
- Familiar with current developments in research with ability to identify appropriate research options, methods and theoretical perspectives. Knowledge of best practice in research methodology.
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills enabling effective interaction internally and externally.
- A commitment to Continual Professional Development in all areas of the role as an academic at the university.
- Ability to work, teach and research in English
- Strong team-work spirit.
- A good track record of engagement with business and industry.
- University-level teaching experience.
- Relevant industry experience.
- Appropriate research experience, including working with industry, for the corresponding academic position level.
- Experience in intensive teaching and problem-based learning, and a willingness to be innovative in teaching practices.
- An institutional builder, able to work with wider disciplines across the college.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
- Clear career development path with annual review.
- Professional development trainings are provided.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary in the market
- Allowance: XJTLU provide various month/annual/one-off allowances as
- Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Education allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Commercial insurance: international insurance plans customized for XJTLU staff and family members. (details refer to the University Policy)
- Paid holidays:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental Leave
- Working visa and residence permit in China:
- XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permitin China for the staff.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application on our university website: https://career15.sapsf.cn/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=1894&company=xjtlu
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References