Head of Academic Services Office
- Full Time
DEPARTMENT: Centre for Academic Affairs
POSITION TITLE: HEAD OF ACADEMIC SERVICES OFFICE
LOCATION: SUZHOU CAMPUS
SALARY: 41,686 – 44,174RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 47,422RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
POSITION OPEN DATE: 1 Sep 2020
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 31 May 2020
JOB ID: 996121
CONTRACT TYPE: full-time
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW:
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative institution and the first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for all programmes. Formed in 2006, the first cohort of students graduated in August 2010. The University now has almost 15,000 students studying on campus. The language of instruction is English. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led, and has recently committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of PhD student numbers on campus.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP). Suzhou has been ranked the 74th most liveable city in the 2018 Global Liveability Index. Additionally, it is well-connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China. SIP is a major growth zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the historic old town’s canals, UNESCO World Heritage Site gardens, and the I.M. Pei-designed Suzhou Museum attracting millions of tourists annually. SIP offers an excellent quality of life with high environmental standards. The nearby Jinji Lake provides attractive views, by day and by night, and there is a variety of shopping facilities, international and local restaurants, entertainment hubs and nightlife. Suzhou is also home to four international schools.
The Academic Services Office (ASO) is the unit established within the Centre for Academic Affairs (CAA), which supports the Vice President, Academic Affairs (VPAA) and provides administrative coordination across the University for a Broad Range of key academic functions.
Reporting to the Director of CAA, the Head ASO will take the leadership role in the development and expansion of the Academic Services Office, with overarching responsibility for:
- academic governance
- academic planning
- academic staff management
- the academic management team
- the conference and event team, and
- the university committee secretariat.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Works with the Director and Deputy Director of CAA to ensure the development of CAA as a client based service to support the university’s growing academic endeavour
- Is a member of the CAA Professional Services Leadership Team (PSLT)
- Develops, leads and manages the Academic Services Office
- Works with other members of PSLT to identify staff training needs and development opportunities
- Works with PSLT to determine other areas of responsibility
- Any other duties as required by the Director, CAA
- Bachelor degree or higher or significant relevant professional management or leadership qualifications
- High-level oral and written communication skills in English
- Excellent personal organisation skills
- A clear, logical thinker
- Confident, assertive, highly proactive and able to take responsibility for own actions
- Experience of leadership in administration
- A well-developed cultural awareness
- A flexible approach to working
- Ability to work independently and also as part of a team
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Experience of administrative work in a Higher Education environment
- Experience of working in an international environment
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please send your application to AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. In the subject line write the Position you are applying for and quote the job ID number for reference.
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to the Staff Management Team at AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.