Lecturer/Senior Associate Professor - Mathematical Sciences
- Full Time
LECTURER/ SENIOR ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR
DEPARTMENT: Department of Mathematical Sciences
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Pure Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Financial Mathematics, Probability and Statistics, Actuarial Science
POSITION TITLE: Lecturer/Senior Associate Professor, up to 7 positions
We are looking for future colleagues in the following areas to strengthen the research of our department:
- Geometry and topology, analysis, number theory, Lie theory, algebraic geometry and dynamical system.
- Statistics learning, Bayesian methods, probability, time series, biostatistics, financial data analytics, computational finance (PDE/SPDE solutions for Finance), quantitative finance, and actuarial science.
- Differential equations, scientific computing, numerical analysis, uncertainty quantification, machine learning and optimization.
Outstanding applicants in other areas will also be considered.
LOCATION: SUZHOU CAMPUS
SALARY: Salary is based on experience and qualification.
The scales for salary are:
- Lecturer 5: 27,929 - 30,762RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 34,219RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
- Senior Associate Professor: 41,686 - 44,174RMB (with the opportunity to go to 47,422RMB based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
POSITION OPEN DATE: February 18, 2020
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 31 May 2020, however hiring will continue until the positions are filled.
JOB ID: 990013A
CONTRACT TYPE: full-time
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW:
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative institution and the first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for all programmes. Formed in 2006, the first cohort of students graduated in August 2010. The University now has almost 15,000 students studying on campus. The language of instruction is English. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led, and has recently committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of PhD student numbers on campus.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP). Suzhou has been ranked the 74th most liveable city in the 2018 Global Liveability Index. Additionally, it is well-connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China. SIP is a major growth zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the historic old town’s canals, UNESCO World Heritage Site gardens, and the I.M. Pei-designed Suzhou Museum attracting millions of tourists annually. SIP offers an excellent quality of life with high environmental standards. The nearby Jinji Lake provides attractive views, by day and by night, and there is a variety of shopping facilities, international and local restaurants, entertainment hubs and nightlife. Suzhou is also home to four international schools.
Born with Xian Jiaotong-Liverpool University in 2006 with 1 member, in 12 years the Department of Mathematical Sciences has grown into a vibrant department with 80 academic members from 12 countries. We have expertise in teaching that compares well with the best in the world. We have also accumulated talents who are conducting good research ranging from applied mathematics, pure mathematics, physics, financial mathematics, probability and statistics, and actuarial science.
The Department of Mathematical Sciences at the Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU, https://www.xjtlu.edu.cn/en/) invites strong applications for Lecturers and Senior Associate Professors to begin September 1, 2020.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
We are looking for future colleagues who can
- conduct high-quality research, as shown by publications in leading journals,
- actively attract internal and external research funding,
- supervise PhD students and undergraduate students,
- teach undergraduate and graduate students,
- provide administrative service to the department and university committees.
Preference will be given to applicants who have shown outstanding promise (for Lecturer) or excellent accomplishments (for Senior Associate Professor) in research and teaching. It is important to note that a successful applicant must be able to teach in English as XJTLU’s working and instructional language is English.
- A PhD degree in above mentioned disciplines or a closely aligned disciplines is required.
- Two years of postdoctoral experience and preferably a demonstrable teaching experience
- Experience in conducting research supported by national level research funds.
- Experience in academic programme design and development.
- Experience in design and implementation of digital and internet education.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, children’s educational and medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is also provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “exemption”, depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised that applicants over 65 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please send your application to AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. In the subject line write the Position you are applying for and quote the job ID number for reference.
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above. Informal enquiries about the positions and the department may be addressed to the Interim Dean (Dr Eric Amigues) and/or the Head of Department of Mathematical Sciences, Dr Qiang Niu (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com).
Other informal enquiries may be addressed to the Staff Management Team at AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.