Dean of the College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Full Time
Dean of the College of Engineering and Computer Science
VinUniversity seeks an entrepreneurial-minded academic leader with rigorous academic credentials in engineering or computer science, a record of excellence in teaching and research, and strong administrative leadership gained in a large, complex, and diverse higher education environment to be the founding Dean of the College of Engineering and Computer Science.
The Dean is the chief intellectual and administrative leader of the College and an advocate for the mission of the College's academic programs. The Dean reports to the Provost and work with other leaders and colleagues across the University to pursue College’s vision and goals, and effectively communicate it to constituencies within and external to VinUniversity. She/he will support and promote the highest quality educational programs, research, public service, and economic development activities of the College.
Respect for shared governance and a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, yet decisively, will be important attributes. Additionally, the successful candidate will have likely held a senior administrative appointment in a university-system setting with experience working with governing boards, administration, and faculty. A sophisticated understanding of financial and operational drivers of performance in a research university are critical. The successful candidate must also be a passionate champion of the importance and contributions of engineering to the world.
Principal Position Responsibilities
- Ensure alignment of the College with VinUniversity’s vision and mission. Assist the University and community with economic and entrepreneurship goals.
- Propel VinUniversity along its path to becoming an emerging research institution. As such, the Dean must work with faculty to develop the College's research portfolio.
- Promote, encourage, and incentivize interdisciplinary collaborations within the College and across the colleges at VinUniversity.
- Oversee all academic programs in the College as well as the centers/institutes within it. Make sure the academic programs meet the evolving mission of the College, align with the College’s strategic plan, and meet the needs of the students and faculty.
- Work with all constituency groups to ensure that the academic programs of the College approaching high national/regional ranking, and are well placed with respect to the College’s peer or aspirational benchmark group.
- Recruit and retain a high quality faculty and staff. Recommend appointment, promotion, and professional development of faculty members after consultation with appropriate unit/department chairs.
- Design marketing strategies to promote the College to prospective students. Collaborate with the university’s admission division to recruit, retain, and graduate high-quality students.
- Ensure student success in and beyond the classroom by building educational and student life programs that will enable students to become productive citizens who value and pursue community engagement.
- Support mutually beneficial partnerships between the College and business/industry, not-for-profit organizations, and other educational institutions. Nurture industry relationships that provide student internships, graduate career opportunities, scholarships, and other fundraising prospects.
- Oversee efficient and effective internal operations of the College. Coordinate and manage the activities of the College’s advisory council(s), committees, and boards.
- Ensure effective communications with VinUniversity’s leaders.
- Play a key oversight role in accreditation process and program review for continuous improvement of the College.
Education and Experience
- Qualified for appointment as a tenured professor in a top university
- An earned Doctorate in one of the College's disciplines from an accredited institution
- At least five years’ successful experience in progressively responsible teaching, administrative, and educational leadership positions in a university setting
- Demonstrated successful experience in strategic planning, fiscal management, resource allocation, and personnel supervision
- Evidence of commitment to the development and support of interdisciplinary and international activities and programs
- Involvement with accreditation and a familiarity with the ABET accreditation process is a plus
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Broad knowledge of the philosophy and mission of private universities
- Knowledge of curriculum design and its application to sound academic management
- Ability and skill in the design and application of methods for the evaluation of faculty and staff
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbally and in writing, complex ideas and recommendations
- Ability to carry out the functions of leadership along a planned program of institutional direction
- Ability to manage a college/school academic budget; ability to establish and monitor fiscal accountability within the areas of responsibility
- Demonstrated ability to work with faculty, staff, and students as well as community groups of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds
- Possess strong professional networks.
The salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
How to apply
To apply, please send (1) a resume and (2) a cover letter explaining the interest in the position and relevant qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Consideration of candidates will occur on a rolling basis beginning March 1, 2019, and will continue until the position is filled. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit a letter of nomination including the candidate’s contact information to the Search Committee. The desired position start date is September 2019, subject to negotiation.
Vietnam Economic Times >> http://vneconomictimes.com/article/business/vingroup-partners-with-cornell-penn-universities
Philadelphia Business Journal >>