UM Research Assistant Professor / UM Postdoctoral Fellow
- Full Time
The University of Macau (UM) is an internationalized public comprehensive university in the Macao Special Administrative Region (MSAR) located at the west bank of the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area (GBA). The GBA is rapidly developing into one of the leading technology and innovation hubs of the world. UM is placed in 201-250 bracket in the THE World University Rankings and placed No. 304 in the QS World University Rankings. With a scenic campus of approximately 1 km2 on Hengqin island, UM has achieved significant progress in the past decade as evidenced by its rising international repute, state-of-the-art teaching and research facilities, and the establishment of three State Key Laboratories in microelectronics, Chinese medical sciences, and internet of things for smart city. To support economic diversification of MSAR and deepen collaboration between MSAR and Guangdong Province in Hengqin island, UM will continue to invest in cutting-edge research and develop interdisciplinary programmes in key strategic areas including precision oncology, advanced materials, regional oceanography, artificial intelligence and robotics, data science, cognitive and brain science and economics and finance. Leveraging its ‘4-in-1’ model of education and the largest residential college system in Asia, UM provides all-round undergraduate education, nurturing talent to support social and economic development in MSAR and the GBA as a whole. With unprecedented growth and opportunities for development, UM offers promising career prospects to academics at all levels. It may be noted that English is the working language and the primary medium of instruction at UM.
The UM Research Assistant Professor and UM Postdoctoral Fellow schemes under the UM Talent Programme aim to attract high-calibre talents to conduct research activities to strengthen the University’s capabilities in academic research and technological innovation.
UM now invites applications for the position of UM Research Assistant Professor and UM Postdoctoral Fellow in the following units:
- Faculty of Arts and Humanities (Website: https://fah.um.edu.mo)
- Faculty of Business Administration (Website: https://fba.um.edu.mo)
- Faculty of Education (Website: https://fed.um.edu.mo)
- Faculty of Health Sciences (Website: https://fhs.um.edu.mo)
- Faculty of Law (Website: https://fll.um.edu.mo)
- Faculty of Science and Technology (Website: https://fst.um.edu.mo)
- Faculty of Social Sciences (Website: https://fss.um.edu.mo)
- Institute of Applied Physics and Materials Engineering (Website: https://iapme.um.edu.mo/)
- Institute of Chinese Medical Sciences / State Key Laboratory of Quality Research in Chinese Medicine (University of Macau)(Website: https://sklqrcm.um.edu.mo/)
- Institute of Collaborative Innovation (Website: https://ici.um.edu.mo/)
- Institute of Microelectronics / State Key Laboratory of Analog and Mixed-Signal VLSI (University of Macau) (Website: https://ime.um.edu.mo/)
- State Key Laboratory of Internet of Things for Smart City (University of Macau) (Website: https://skliotsc.um.edu.mo/)
UM Research Assistant Professor
The UM Research Assistant Professor scheme is launched under the UM Talent Programme to attract high-calibre talents to conduct independent research at UM. Through undertaking research projects, it will vigorously promote industry-university-research collaboration and the development of new industries to diversify the economy of Macao. It will also enhance the University’s postgraduate education, and facilitate the formation of a talent training hub on the west bank of the Greater Bay Area. These young and knowledgeable professionals will become an important source and talent pool for the faculty team development in UM.
Applications are invited for Research Assistant Professor in the academic units on a 2-year initial contract basis, renewable upon satisfactory performance.
Appointees are normally assigned with minimal teaching duties.
- Holder of PhD or equivalent degree in relevant disciplines in a world-renowned university;
- Proven track record of excellent research achievements, including publications, patents, presentations, and academic awards;
- Post-doctoral research experience is preferable;
- Demonstrate good communication, interpersonal and management skills;
- English is the working language, while knowledge in Chinese/Portuguese will be an advantage;
- Current UM Postdoctoral Fellowship and Associateship appointees with remaining contract period over 12 months is not eligible for application.
A taxable annual remuneration between MOP500,000 and 700,000 (approximately USD61,720 to 86,410) will be commensurate with the successful applicants’ academic qualification and relevant professional experience. The current local maximum income tax rate is 12% but is effectively around 5% – 7% after various discretionary exemptions experience.
UM Postdoctoral Fellow
The UM Postdoctoral Fellow scheme is launched under the UM Talent Programme to attract outstanding PhD graduates to conduct research at UM so as to strengthen the research capabilities of the University.
Applications are invited for Postdoctoral Fellow in the academic units on a 2-year contract basis.
- Holder of PhD degree or equivalent degree from top-ranked universities or disciplines (e.g., Top 200 ranked universities listed on THE/QS world ranking, or those listed under the Double First-Class Initiatives and Programmes in mainland China);
- Holder of PhD degree for less than 2 years. Applicants with doctoral degree award expected within 6 months upon closing of application will be considered;
- Proven record of outstanding academic achievement, including publications, patents, presentations and academic awards;
- Current UM Postdoctoral Fellowship and Associateship appointees are not eligible for application.
A taxable annual remuneration between MOP336,000 and MOP480,000 (approximately USD41,480 to 59,250) will be commensurate with the successful applicants’ academic qualification and relevant professional experience. The current local maximum income tax rate is 12% but is effectively around 5% – 7% after various discretionary exemptions experience.
- Applicants should apply online viahttps://talent.rsms.um.edu.mo/login/OALogin.jsp on or before 30 June 2023;
- Required documents for application include:1)Detailed Curriculum Vitae; 2) Academic certificate; 3) Performance summary form (template available on application system); 4) Research proposal (template available on application system); 5) Five representative academic publications. Please upload the above documents to your online application.
For any enquiries, please contact Research Services and Knowledge Transfer Office at email@example.com.
Tel: +853 8822 4210 / +853 8822 9154.
University of Macau, Av. da Universidade, Taipa, Macau, China
The University of Macau reserves the right not to appoint a candidate.
***Personal data provided by applicants will be kept confidential and used for recruitment purpose only***
** Under the equal condition of qualifications and experience, priority will be given to Macao permanent residents**