Teaching Assistant in Medical Laboratories
- Full Time
The University of Kurdistan Hewlêr is a leading modern University in the Kurdistan region – Iraq and we are at an exciting stage in our development. The School of Medical Sciences (SMS) is making a significant investment in new academic posts to support its strategic development over the next five years and to help further position the School as a key player locally, nationally and internationally.
We are seeking an inspirational staff to join our team and to contribute to the success and growth of the School. In particular, we would welcome interested candidates who can contribute as a Teaching Assistant in Medical Laboratories.
VACANCY AVAILABLE: One
SCHOOL: Medical Sciences (SMS)
JOB FAMILY: Academic
TYPE OF CONTRACT: FTE 1.0
HOURS OF WORK: 40 Hours/Week (Normally 08:30 AM – 4:30 PM, Sunday – Thursday)
PLACE OF WORK: University of Kurdistan Hewlêr
REPORTING TO: Dean of the School
APPOINTMENT DURATION: Three Years
PROBATION PERIOD: 12 Months
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Application is open until the position is filled
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Teaching Assistant in Medical Laboratories, in consultation with the line manager, will:
- Be familiar with laboratory exercises in Medical Sciences. Anticipate questions that the students may have and offer assistance.
- Organise and make necessary preparation before each use of the laboratory.
- Assist students in carrying out instructions and procedures in a safe and effective manner.
- Ensure the bench tops are clean at the end of all laboratory uses.
- Follow up with cleaning time table of laboratory and supervise cleaners while cleaning if needed.
- Attend each Medical based field visits and help students by answering questions and guiding them in how to use different tools.
- Prepare the required number of laboratory equipment and tools according to the need of each Medical based laboratory in advance or during teaching week.
- Report any damaged equipment and samples directly to the relevant faculty member.
- Walk around the laboratory to check if there is any maintenance or student to help.
- Guide students when they need any assistance for their study in any Medical based laboratories.
- Check and grade the laboratory and field visit reports, quizzes and assignments.
- Maintain a professional and satisfactory working environment.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties commensurate with the nature of the post and as requested by the line manager.
The Teaching Assistant in Medical Laboratories should have:
- A University degree in a relevant field.
- Minimum one year of experience in laboratory.
- The qualification of being fluent in English Language (Reading, Writing and Speaking).
- Good knowledge of use and preparation of Medical Laboratories.
- Experience in organising students and guiding them in using Medical laboratory tools and equipment.
- Good knowledge in writing and evaluating scientific laboratory reports as well as assignments.
- Good knowledge of laboratory safety procedures.
- Planning and organizational skills, able to priorities work and plan/schedule.
- Good team player, ability to work harmoniously with colleagues and students of all cultures and backgrounds.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to continuous professional development
- Ability to deal with sensitive information with discretion and to maintain confidentiality at all times.
HOW TO APPLY
- Interested applicants are requested to email their Application Form, CV, and Personal Statement to firstname.lastname@example.org by indicating the specific Vacancy Title: Teaching Assistant in Medical Laboratories and inserting the most recent passport size photo in the area provided on the application form.
- Only complete applications: Application Form (with the most recent photo), Personal Statement and CV will be considered.
- Size of the photo must be 45mm x 35mm with no less than 150 pixels for the quality.
- Any application that does not specify the vacancy applied for will not be considered.
- An Application Form is available at ‘Vacancies’ on the University website (http://www.ukh.edu.krd).
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.