About University of Kurdistan Hewlêr (UKH)
The University of Kurdistan Hewlêr (UKH) opened its doors in 2006 as the first and only public, english-medium and independent University in Iraq. The University of Kurdistan Hewlêr is an initiative of and is funded by the Regional Government of Kurdistan. UKH aims to produce graduates with high levels of English language competency, with advanced critical thinking skills and whose qualifications will help improve the development of the region and the lives of those within it. The University’s teaching philosophy is to encourage students to think critically and analytically about their studies, to constantly question issues and not simply accumulate information without questioning. UKH strongly believes this approach will equip students with the skills they need for future professional careers. The University provides taught and research-based degree pathways, delivered by internationally trained and renowned academic staff. The University’s degree pathways aim to generate research that will advance knowledge, as well as inform policy for key decision-makers in the region.
Key points of the University of Kurdistan Hewlêr
- UKH is a non-profit university, which has academic and administrative autonomy.
- UKH is an English-medium university.
- UKH focuses on the delivery of quality higher education, rather than a high volume of student enrollments.
- UKH aims to be at the forefront of higher education reforms in the Kurdistan Region
- The employability rate of UKH graduates is outstanding.