The Faculty of Education at UJ is committed to
knowledge making for 21 century education. To
this end the Faculty offers initial teacher education
programmes (Bachelor of Education degrees).
Teacher education for primary school teaching
- BEd in Foundation Phase Teaching (Grades R-3)
- BEd in Intermediate Phase Teaching (Grades 4-7)
Teacher education for secondary school teacher education
- BEd in Senior Phase and FET Teaching (Grades 7-12)
Through its teacher education programmes, the Faculty strives
to prepare teachers who are caring, accountable and critically
reflective about the who, what, how and why of teaching in
a diversity of contexts. Through integrating coursework at
the University and practicum at schools the Faculty creates
learning opportunities for student-teachers to acquire
- a thorough understanding of learning and development in childhood/adolescence
- sound subject knowledge
- an understanding of contextual factors that impact learning and schooling
- an appreciation of the demands of the teaching profession
- a repertoire of teaching strategies and skills
- a reflective stance towards teaching.
The primary school teacher education programmes are
unique in the country. The coursework is integrated with
practical experience over four years in the UJ founded,
Funda UJabule School. At this school, which is situated on
the Soweto campus, students observe how children learn
and develop, they work closely with teachers and they are
mentored by the teachers.
Disclaimer: Due to limited space, fulfilling all the
minimum entry requirements does not guarantee
acceptance into a programme.