Awards that Exeter have won
Exeter is one of the top universities in the world:
- Exeter is amongst the top 1 per cent of universities worldwide according to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, the most influential global league table.
- We are 7th in the UK, 9th in Europe and top 40 in the world in the CWTS Leiden Ranking, when the quality of publications is taken into account. The Leiden Ranking offers key insights into the scientific performance of more than 900 major universities worldwide.
- The University is currently ranked 158th in the QS World University Rankings.
Exeter is a top UK university, according to all of the main higher education league tables
Each league table ranks more than 100 UK higher education institutions.
- The Times and the Sunday Times Good University Guide ranks Exeter in 9th position in the UK. It says: ‘Exeter is one of Britain’s most popular universities in terms of first-choice applications, not only in its traditional strong suit, the arts, but increasingly in the sciences and social sciences.’
- Exeter was named The Times and The Sunday Times Sports University of the Year 2015-16 acknowledging the University as the best in the country in academic and athletic achievement across a wide range of sports. It recognises Exeter’s outstanding support for athletes, very high student satisfaction in sport-related programmes and world-leading research which enhances athletic performance at all levels. In 2012 the Sunday Times named us 'Sunday Times University of the Year'.
- This year’s Guardian league table lists Exeter in 13th position out of 121 higher education institutions, and we are ranked 7th in the Russell Group of leading research intensive universities. The Medical School cemented its burgeoning reputation as one of the very best in the country, rising to 5th place nationally and once again retaining its place as best in the South West. A wide range of subjects at the University secured top 10 positions: Religious Studies and Theology (4th), Sports Science (5th) and Engineering: Materials and Minerals (5th) also secured positions in the top five of the rankings. Drama (6th), Medical Imaging (6th) Politics (8th), Classics (8th) and Business, Management and Marketing (10th) complete the top 10 entries. Overall, 21 subjects feature in the top 20.
- The Complete University Guide published in the Independent lists Exeter in 13th place.
A leader in the UK for student satisfaction
The University of Exeter is highest ranked amongst the 24 members of the prestigious Russell Group of research-intensive institutions in the National Student Survey based on Overall Satisfaction and 2nd with respect to the average across all question category scores.
In 2016 the University climbed four places to 11th in the country and was rated best in the South West, based on an average across all question category scores. The ranking is based on the University’s own analysis of the NSS data, which uses the scores from all seven categories of questions answered by students on overall satisfaction.
The University was also ranked equal 9th out of full service universities and top amongst Russell Group institutions in the Times Higher Education’s own rankings of the NSS student satisfaction results. This ranking is based on the question answered by students which dealt with overall satisfaction.
A wide range of subjects at the University of Exeter performed strongly in this year’s National Student Survey (NSS).
13 subjects are ranked in the Top 10 in the latest NSS, the most comprehensive measure of student satisfaction within higher education.
The Queen's Anniversary Prize
The University has three times been awarded a prestigious Queen's Anniversary Prize. The most recent award was made to a team of scientists who have transformed the lives of hundreds of diabetes sufferers.
This is the second Queen's prize won by a member of staff at the Peninsula Medical School. The Dean, Professor John Tooke, won a Queen's Prize in 1996 also for work on diabetes. It is the third Prize won by the University.
Keep up to date with our most current awards by following our news updates.