- Our jobs
- About Us
- Vision and Mission
- PNU Strategic Goals
- College of Education
- College of Arts
- College of Social Services
- College of Languages
- College of Science
- College of Computer and Information Sciences
- College of Business Administration
- College of Arts and Design
- College of Nursing
- College of Pharmacy
- College Of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences
- College of Dentistry
- College of Medicine
- Contact Us
The education of women in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has received a great deal of attention and this has allowed Saudi women to make definite strides towards achieving their ambitions and unveiling their uniqueness in different fields
The Saudi woman has emerged, not only at the local level, but at the international level as well. We see examples of Saudi women in the fields of culture and specialized research, examples who are respected and acknowledged in international arenas and in the various fields of science, proving their success and their worthiness that rivals that of their peers in other advanced countries.
PNU is one of the outcomes of the attention given to the higher education of women. This attention started early, when the General Presidency for the Education of Girls established the first college for women in 1390 AH, corresponding to 1970 CE. The inauguration of more colleges followed, reaching 102, ranging from university colleges to intermediary colleges and community colleges. These were distributed over 72 Saudi cities and included 600,000 students.
In Riyadh alone there are six colleges; namely the College of Education for Liberal Arts Disciplines, the College of Education for Scientific Disciplines, the College of Education for the Development of Teachers, the College of Social Services, the College of Home Economics and the College of Fine Arts.
In 1427 AH, a royal order was issued for the establishment of the first university for women in Riyadh, under the supervision of the Ministry of Higher Education. This included the six colleges located in Riyadh, in addition to a number of new colleges established for the purpose of women's education and development in the Kingdom.
The university was inaugurated in 1428 AH with the appointment of its first rector, H.H. Dr. Al-Jawhara bint Fahd Al-Saud.
On Wednesday, 29/10/1429 AH, the university was honored with the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques placing the cornerstone for the university campus. His Majesty at that time saw it best to change the name to Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University (PNU); Princess Nourah being the sister of the founder of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the late King Abdul Aziz bin Abdulrahman.