Evolution of PMU
Who initiated the idea?
- HRH Prince Mohammad bin Fahd bin Abdul-Aziz greatly believes that challenges of modern workplace could be met only through high quality education. To make this dream come true, HRH took the initiative in 2002 to help establish a University in the Eastern Province with unique characteristics and distinctive mission/vision statements. This initiative was the starting point for PMU project.
Who did the feasibility study for PMU?
- The first step in setting up the University was the feasibility study. The decision was made to award the project to "The Consulting Center for Finance and Investment - CCFI", who finalized the study in June 2003. Based on the findings, the decision was made as to which academic programs will be offered by PMU. The feasibility study also offered recommendations concerning needed capital investments and operational costs.
- Top national and international engineering offices competed for the Architectural Design project of PMU. The decision was to award the project to Zuhair Fayez Partnership (ZFP) who have excellent track record in designing educational institutions. However, in order to guarantee international standards, the space program for the educational facilities was done in collaboration with International Universities. The design phase was completed in Feb. 2005 and reviewed by Al-Hejailan Consultants Engineering Office (AHC).
PMU Construction Contractor
- Fourteen (14) Construction Companies were invited to tender for PMU Construction project. The contract was awarded to ATCO in July 2005.
- In order to guarantee high quality education, the PMU management awarded the system design project (Academic/Administrative) to one of the top international educational consultants, Texas International Education Consortium (TIEC).