Sport Operations Manager
- KINGS COLLEGE LONDON
- London (Central), London (Greater) (GB)
- £35,502 - £40,333 per annum inclusive of London Weighting Allowance
- 22 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 05 Apr 2023
- Contract Type
- Full Time
This role will play a key part in supporting the development of our health, safety, compliance, operations and experience across our facilities and programmes, in addition to:
• To achieve the King’s Sport & Wellness Vision to Connect with our Communities to Find their Personal Best, set with the Head of Sport & Wellness, attaining the objectives of the Estate Philosophy and Community Business Services Functional Plan to deliver World Class Services to a World Class University.
• Supporting the King’s Sport Business Operations in meeting its operational, health, safety and sustainability targets as well as working with the Business and Operations Manager to meet commercial budgets. Leading the department on the day-to-day operations of Sport facilities managing performance in accordance with agreed budgets and meeting KPI targets through continuous improvement and innovation.
• Supporting the King’s Sport & Wellness team in the development of staff to create a positive work culture and environment for success, that ‘puts students and staff at the heart of everything we do.’ Ensuring a consistent, world class, customer experience connecting our communities and ensuring a safe and sustainable Sports Estate.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract for Click or tap here to enter text.
This is a full-time post - 100% full time equivalent
• Play an important role of supporting and informing the King’s Sport & Wellness Management Team in the development and delivery of strategic and operational planning to deliver the objectives of the Community Business Service Functional Plan. Leveraging first-hand knowledge of our customers and facility operations to help drive service innovation and cost effectiveness.
• To lead the Sports Grounds team, with line management responsibility of the 2 Senior Grounds People, undertaking one-to-ones, PDRs, personal development plans and objective setting in line with our department operating plan and KCBS Functional Plan in support of the E&F Philosophy.
• To support Senior Grounds Supervisors and Grounds staff, leading a high performing and motivated team, to thrive in their roles and operate with the highest standards of professionalism and customer service. Ensuring that all managed staff, have completed the Fit for King's customer service programme and have adopted King’s Sport & Wellness behaviors to build and sustain a positive team culture.
• To lead the development, training and support of a student and volunteer workforce to support in the delivery of customer operations, activities and experiences across our faculties, ensuring a world class customer experience, with a focus on improving the quality of the customer journey and service standards.
• To work across all Sports facilities to seek out and share best practice with the wider team to ensure world-class service delivery and operations.
• Supporting the department in its processes for health, safety, operations and compliance. Encourage knowledge sharing across Sport & Wellness, KCBS and Estates & Facilities.
• Act as a role model for professional behavior and best practice. Constantly challenge unsafe or inefficient behaviors and/or practices, and follow through to a satisfactory corrective action, in line with King’s Principles in Action.
• Support the Business and Operations Manager to deliver the King’s Sport & Wellness strategy to become London’s Most Active University by 2026; developing world class experiences across our facilities and programmes.
• Support the King’s Sport Management team in the setting and monitoring of the Sport Ground service performance against three core objectives of Engagement, Experience and Impact taking appropriate action to improve performance and maximise the reputation of King’s Sport & Wellness.
• To lead on stakeholder and contractual management at the Sports Grounds, developing a business plan for increased commercial income, growth of community, school and Alumni partnerships and enhancing the student sport experience. Working closely with KCLSU to support student fixtures and training to enhance competitive sport club performance.
• To support the Senior Sports Ground Managers to ensure high quality Sports Pitches and ancillary facilities are developed and maintained to enhance the sports experience at King’s. Creating and costing annual Pitch Improvement Plans, sharing expertise and working in collaboration across both our Sports Grounds.
• To support the Business and Operations Manager in ensuring the departments programmes and facilities run in accordance with legal obligations and King’s guiding principles. Leading on the Quest, ISO9001 and internal audit processes whilst acting as a lead on our Quality Management System to develop work instructions and ensure a safe environment for our customers.
• To lead the King’s Sport & Wellness Health and Safety working group and have responsibility with the Business and Operations Manager to develop Business Continuity Plans and lead on risk assessments and management.
• To work with colleagues in E&F Maintenance and engineering to ensure the operational effectiveness of all our King’s Sport & Wellness facilities and assets. Leading on management of contractors and on-going Estate asset refurbishments and minor improvement works and projects.
• To lead on all internal processes of our Bar and Catering operations. Including ordering, stock management, event catering and all aspects of food hygiene compliance – working closely with the King’s Food team.
• To ensure the highest standards of Cleaning across all King’s Sport & Wellness facilities – working closely with the King’s Cleaning team.
• Foster innovation and sharing of ideas. Utilising progressive technology and techniques to develop agile, integrated and customer-centered services, including OpenPlay, iAuditor, Plan-On, Teams and Microsoft BI.
• Support the King’s Sport & Wellness Management Team in delivering value for money and sustainable operating models - in line with annual financial forecasts, achieving pre agreed budgetary targets and seeking continuous financial performance improvement.
• To support all financial processes for our business, including invoicing and report generation with support of the King’s Sport & Wellness Administrator, acting in accordance with the University’s financial procedures.
• To lead King’s Sport & Wellness Facility Operations, including responsibility for the health and safety of all staff and customers on behalf of Estates and Facilities within their demise.
• Ensuring all College and statutory requirements for a safe environment and working practices are met, including compliance with the Safety at Work Act and all other relevant H&S legislation.
• To support the Business & Operations Manager in leading the implementation of rectification of any issues arising as a consequence of any formal health and safety audits undertaken periodically.
• Ensure accidents, incidents and 'near misses' are reported, evaluated, investigated and actioned so that lessons are learnt from health and safety investigations and service adjustments made.
• Responsible for developing a professional and responsive working relationship and delivery plan with the Estates & Facilities Operational Assurance Team, creating a one-team approach.
• Champion and advocate for diversity and inclusion as an imperative for King’s, and work to identify and remove the barriers to inclusion and progression for underrepresented groups. Developing a Fit for King’s Workforce.
• Ensure business practices and operations are aligned and support E&F ambition to Systematically manage the safety and sustainability of our Estate.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Relevant Qualifications from a Gym and Sportsground setting
2. IOSH Qualification
3. To be inclusive, with a commitment to equality and diversity
4. Excellent communication skill across a variety of customer groups and ability to forge good relationships with a variety of departments or user groups
5. In-depth understanding of how to deliver exceptional customer and staff experience
6. Ability to effectively disseminate/communicate information to a variety of audiences and levels
7. Knowledge of health, safety and compliance legislation
8. Extensive experience of operational management of a multi-faceted sport environment including gyms, sports grounds, bars and catering outlets.
9. Previous experience of stakeholder management
10. Experience in writing and disseminating policies, procedures, standards and risk assessments
1. Outstanding communication skills – both written and verbal
2. Previous experience of working in a multi-site environment, prioritising complex and often conflicting demands ensuring appropriate risk management throughout
3. Solution focused to develop innovative outcomes and drive projects to realisation