Animal Cage Washer
Starting Salary Range: $13.42
Employee group: Casual / On Call
Schedule: Mon-Fri; 3:00pm-11:30pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Department name: 10002571-SOM Admin Facilities General Admin
Personnel area: School of Medicine
General summary/purpose: Provides clean and sterilized living environment for research animals.
Specific duties & responsibilities:
- Operates mechanical cage washing equipment, autoclaves and other sanitizing equipment.
- Maintains adequate levels of cage wash chemicals.
- Scrapes and empties pans and cages of soiled bedding.
- Pre-cleans large animal cages for cage wash machinery.
- De-scales rabbit pans.
- Prepares clean rodent cages for autoclaving to include food, bedding, water bottles and appropriate covering.
- Loads assembled cages onto transport racks in preparation for sterilization by steam autoclave. Loads, operates and unloads steam autoclaves.
- Places processed bedding, feed and other related items into assembled, sanitized cages.
- Maintains detailed records of maintenance schedules, detergent and disinfectant use, cage washer and autoclave performance tests.
- Performs preventive maintenance and minor repairs on autoclaves and cage washers.
- Disposes waste materials
- Sweeps, mops and disinfects cage wash areas at the end of each shift and takes all trash to dumpster.
- Receives and stocks feed and bedding in storage area.
Minimum qualifications (mandatory):
Preferred qualifications: High School degree or equivalent preferred
Special knowledge, skills, and abilities: Ability to understand and follow detailed oral and written instructions. Ability to read and write in order to maintain records, read instructions, labels, etc.
Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends and holidays.
Ability to work under environmental conditions that require the use of safety equipment.
Ability to interact and work with faculty, students, staff, and visitors in a respectful and courteous manner.
Technical qualifications or specialized certifications:
Any specific physical requirements for the job:
Stand, walk, or otherwise move about campus on a continuous basis. Lift, carry or otherwise move and position objects and materials weighing up to 50 lbs. Ability to ascend/descend stairs on a regular basis.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
School of Medicine - East Baltimore Campus