External Communications and PR Manager
Corporate Marketing and Communications is seeking a talented communications manager to head up its External Communications and PR team.
As a highly experienced communications professional, the post holder will be a senior member of the Communications & PR Team, responsible for managing the team who tell great stories about the University of Surrey both here in the UK and internationally.
The post-holder will work with colleagues across the University to help develop and deliver the communications of the International and Research strategies, as well as having a focus on all elements of corporate reputation management, including crisis communications.
This role will:
- Maintain a keen understanding of the strategic direction of the University, in order to identify potential external communications and PR opportunities and oversee the University’s 24/7/365 crisis communications capability.
- Work alongside colleagues in the division and across academic departments and faculties to build awareness of the University locally, nationally and in overseas territories and propose initiatives to develop the Institution’s reputation internationally.
- Take a proactive approach to relationship building with key journalists and external stakeholders and maintain a database or similar tool to record the current state of relationship health and any plans to develop relationships further.
- Provide expert advice and training to colleagues within faculties/departments to meet their specific media and public relations needs according to their areas of expertise and stakeholder groups.
- Generate increasingly creative ways to find new audiences and to reach journalists and influencers via social and other new media techniques and regularly liaise with colleagues across the University and at the most senior levels, demonstrating confidence and expertise in order to build relationships of mutual trust and respect.
- Provide effective leadership and management to ensure an integrated approach to communications and in support of key areas of activity across the Comms and PR team and the division.
The successful candidate will have:
- Significant experience of strategic communications planning and delivery
- Significant experience of managing the delivery of a variety of external communications projects
- Experience of developing and managing crisis communications plans, reputation management
- Experience of managing and developing a team of communications professionals to deliver innovative and engaging communications and content
The University of Surrey is amongst the highest achieving universities in the United Kingdom, having been awarded the Times/ Sunday Times University of the Year Award for 2016. We are ranked 10th in The Times Higher Education Table of Tables for UK universities in 2017, and we are the recipient of four Queen’s Anniversary Prizes.
In addition to a competitive salary you will receive 32 days annual leave/closure days and a great benefits package including pension and discounted membership to our world-renowned Surrey Sports Park.
For more information please contact David Ferguson (Head of Communications and PR) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information and to apply online, please download the further details and click on the 'apply online' button above.
We acknowledge, understand and embrace diversity.