Classified Title: Painter II
Starting Salary Range: $19.34/HR
Employee group: Casual / On Call
Schedule: M-F / 7:30-4pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 01-MD:Homewood Campus
Department name: 10001600-Housing Operations and Maintenance
Personnel area: University Administration
Performs interior and exterior painting including painting jobs requiring use of scaffolding, swinging stages, and motorized lifts. Prepares surfaces for painting, staining, or varnishing such as walls, ceilings, interior furnishings, trim work, exterior of buildings and offices. Mixes and applies paints, stains, or varnish.
Note: This position is not benefits eligible
Essential Job Functions
- Performs interior and exterior painting. Uses scaffolding, swinging stages, and motorized lifts to reach high places regularly.
- Prepares surfaces by washing down with special acids and catalysts, by stripping, sanding, wire brushing, burning to remove old coats, filling nail holes and spackling cracks, sandpapering rough spots, brushing off dust, caulking, applying primer or sealer on new surfaces, and removing hardware, masking trims and molding, laying down drop cloths before painting.
- Mixes and thins paints or stains to achieve the right color, shade, and texture.
- Applies paints, varnishes or stains choosing and using the right applicator for each job depending on the surface to be covered, the characteristics of the finish, and other factors to achieve the desired outcome. Blends surface colors and contours to prevent detection of repaired areas. Applies repeated coatings to achieve a smooth and uniform finish.
- Observes all safety precautions and uses equipment and chemical treatments properly to avoid harming self and others, and damaging property.
- Maintains tools, equipment and work area in clean and orderly condition.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education/Experience/Skills & Abilities Required
- High school degree or equivalent.
- Three years of relevant experience.
- Knowledge and skill in surface preparation, application techniques, paint mixing and matching, wood finishing, staining, and varnishing.
- Ability to paint high places both indoors and outdoors using scaffolding, swinging stages, and motorized lifts on a regular basis.
- Ability to interact and/or work with faculty, students, and visitors in a respectful and courteous manner.
- Ability to read and write in order to read work orders, to maintain records and schedule, and so forth.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
This description is a general statement of required major duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information|