Academic Services Specialist
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/02/OE
Starting Salary Range: $17.25 - $23.72 per hour
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday through Friday 8:30-5 with occasional evenings and weekends
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 46-MD:JH at Harbor East
Department name: 60004453-Registrar
Personnel area: Carey Business School
The Academic Services Specialist provides administrative support for activities in the Student Services area of the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School, specifically the Registrar’s Office. Duties include serving as a point person for day-to-day activities within the office, providing general administrative support, and providing guidance and service regarding policies and procedures.
*Extensive education and/or experience will receive additional consideration for compensation outside of the posted range.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide administrative support for general office duties; filing, faxing, mailing and copying.
- Serve as first point of contact for telephone and walk-in visitors for the Registrar’s Office, responding to inquiries regarding admissions, financial aid, records and registration, and billing policies and procedures received by both phone and email. Directing to other departments as appropriate.
- Process transcript and verification requests daily.
- Responsible for Transfer Credit Articulation on student records
- Monitor Registrar email accounts to answer questions from faculty, staff and students.
- Monitor, review and process student registrations including add/drops for credit courses, course changes/cancellations. Check student eligibility for courses and availability of courses.
- Track immunization information for students in Washington, D.C. courses for completion as well as release of registration holds.
- Assist Registrar in editing Carey’s annual Academic Handbook and Catalog. Resolve tracking and formatting issues with the appropriate departments and assist with distribution of the final version
- Assist Registrar with the Academic Standing process for students below a specified grade point average (GPA).
- Assist with VA related inquiries from current and prospective students
- Provide assistance for interdivisional registration requests and process accordingly.
- Provide assistance for events throughout the academic calendar, i.e. new student orientations, completion celebrations, Carey graduation.
- Use various software applications, such as spreadsheets and databases to assemble, manipulate and/or format data and /or reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (mandatory):
- High School Diploma/GED and a minimum of 3 years office/administrative/academic experience; preferably within higher education.
- Additional education may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula (30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year experience).
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Knowledge of current higher education registration practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws regarding student privacy.
- Knowledge of effective, efficient and confidential electronic and paper records retention methods.
- Knowledge of Carey Business School academic degree and non-degree programs and student services.
- Knowledge of Student Information Systems, such as JHU SIS.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of office administration, effective scheduling and administrative support services.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to collaborate and build strong, effective working relationships across departments, JHU divisions.
- Ability to work independently and exercise independent and professional judgment.
- Ability to work well under pressure, meet competing timeframes, prioritize work, and multi-task.
- Proficiency in Windows-based applications, in Microsoft Office Suite – including MS Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to perform data entry accurately.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information