Research Specialist C
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
The University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine is a global leader in veterinary education, research, and clinical care. Founded in 1884, the School is a proud member of the One Health initiative, linking human, animal, and environmental health. http://www.vet.upenn.edu/
We are looking for a highly motivated, enthusiastic, and independent senior scientist to join a team of research specialists developing immunotherapeutic reagents for canine patients at the University of Pennsylvania’s School of Veterinary Medicine. The successful candidate will have expertise in molecular biology techniques with an emphasis on recombinant protein production, purification and analysis. Experience with laboratory techniques associated with antibody validation including SPR, ELISA, Flow Cytometry and Western blot are required. The successful candidate will be responsible for monoclonal antibody generation, conjugation, and validation. They will also be proficient in immunological assays involving tissue culture, including ELISpot analysis and cytotoxicity assays. They will be able to work well both independently and in a team environment. The candidate must be fluent in English and have the right to work in the USA.
MS or PhD in Biological Sciences/Bioengineering with at least 3 – 5 years of relevant experience with protein engineering, antibody validation and immunological analysis; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong background in experimental design and assay optimization
- Fluency in English with the right to work in the USA.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Expertise in molecular biology techniques with an emphasis on recombinant protein production, purification and analysis
- Experience with laboratory techniques associated with antibody validation including SPR, ELISA, Flow Cytometry, and Western Blot
- Experience with immunological assays including ELISpot assays and cytotoxicity assays
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated proficiency in developing protocols, troubleshooting, maintaining meticulous notes, documenting results, and preparing reports
- Experience with project management and demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
- Proven ability for innovation
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work independently as well as coordinate effectively within a team
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.