Cord Blood Collector
This position is in Duke's Marcus Center for Cellular Cures and is located at UNC Rex Hospital in Raleigh N.C.
Schedule for this position is: Fri-Sun (12 hours each day) first shift and Thursday first shift (4 hours).
Responsible for the collection of umbilical cord blood units for the Marcus Center for Cellular Cures - Carolinas Cord Blood Bank at various sites. Reports to the collection site Team Lead, involved in promotion of public cord blood banking, data collection, and specialized laboratory procedures and techniques for the successful collection of umbilical cord blood units for public banking. An integral member of a team of physicians, nurses, collection specialists, and other professionals providing cord blood collection and processing services for the Carolinas Cord Blood Bank.
- Assist with education of the potential mother/donor about the Carolinas Cord Blood Bank (CCBB) and the concept of donating to a public cord blood bank so that she can make an informed choice regarding the voluntary donation of her infant’s cord blood.
- Assist in obtaining informed consent from every mother/donor by providing information and discussion of the consent form, culminating with a written and signed document.
- Obtain delivery and neonatal information by reviewing the medical records of the mother and infant donor, and accurately record information on the appropriate form, performing follow up with OB clinical staff when needed.
- Enter collection and donor information in the CCBB data systems.
- Ensure that the collection site phlebotomist collects maternal blood samples for infectious disease testing according to standard operating procedures. Assist with follow-up collection of samples if samples are missed before the mother/donor is discharged from the hospital, or if the original samples are otherwise unusable.
- Collect the umbilical cord blood from the delivered placenta according to standard operating procedures and deliver to the CCBB laboratory for processing and storage.
- Ensure and maintain complete confidentiality with regard to identity of the maternal/infant donor pair, as well as results of any tests and procedures, in accordance with CCBB standard operating procedures.
- Participate in the Quality Assurance Program for the development, implementation, and evaluation of cord blood banking.
Requisition Number 401472158
Duke Entity MEDICAL CENTER
Job Code 259 CORD BLOOD COLLECTOR
Job Family Level 09
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Minimum of a bachelors degree in biology or other related field.
Work requires two years of experience in collection, interpretation,and/or documentation of data.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID