Director of academics, Talent Identification Program
Duke Tip is seeking a Director of Academics. This position will be Reporting to the Director of Educational Programs at Duke University’s Talent Identification Program (TIP), the Director of Academics provides principal leadership in the development, implementation, and evaluation of curriculum and pedagogies of the academic components of TIP’s face-to-face programming.
The director provides information on the curriculum and academic policies and regulations to families and students, staff, and instructors. Specifically, this position oversees the development and administration of curriculum and pedagogies for 400+ courses, which serve approximately 7500 students at 24 sites during the summer months and an additional 1600 students across the academic year. The Director also recruits, trains and supervises the academic administrative staff.
50% Curriculum and Instruction:
- Lead and coordinator the review of all curricula, syllabi, and academic materials to ensure quality program delivery to students. TIP offers 400+ face-to-face courses.
- Collaborate with TIP’s Educational Programs staff on the selection of courses for annual and seasonal programs, including managing the process for curriculum development, design, and review for current and new courses.
- Lead the recruitment, hiring, training and supervision of 700+ seasonal instructional staff, including 400+ course instructors and 300+ teaching assistants.
- Collaborate with the Director of Research for Duke TIP on program design and evaluation.
- Reviews Duke TIP website and program websites to be sure that information regarding academic requirements, policies & procedures, etc. are being kept current and accurate.
- Supervise year-round and seasonal employees, which includes 3 full-time direct reports.
- Lead the transition of current programs and courses to new models based on the goals of the strategic plan.
30% Site Academic Support:
- Serve as academic leader when programs are in session intensively during the summer months for 24 sites and 7500 students and then periodically for weekend programs at 3 main sites and several partner sites throughout the academic year.
- Lead the team that provides direct academic support to site-based academic leaders to ensure high quality and rigorous coursework for all TIP students.
- Respond to crisis situations involving academic staff; advise Duke TIP Human Resources, the Educational Programs Director and Executive Director on situations requiring intervention or follow-up.
- Communicate with parents of students involved in academic concerns both during program operation and after programs close, advising of actions related to any academic fraud/discipline, including dismissal from program and restrictions on future program participation.
- Work in collaboration with the Director of Educational Programs on issues of policy involving the dismissal of TIP students and/or academic staff and other disciplinary decisions.
- Advise site staff on academic activities and issues.
20% Collaboration and Communications:
- Interpret Duke TIP academic policies and procedures, making decisions on specific operating issues to develop training programs and materials that ensure compliance with TIP academic philosophies and smooth operation of TIP Educational Programs.
- Collaborate with Educational Programs management and advise on academic policies regarding all educational programs, ensuring academic policies and practices are consistent with Duke TIP’s strategic, philosophical, and operational goals.
- Work with the TIP’s Human Resources division to ensure the effective recruitment and hiring of seasonal instructional staff.
- Lead the communication with parents regarding the academics of Duke TIP programs.
- Serve on committees within Duke TIP to ensure the seamless implementation of academic programming across programs and sites.
Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein as directed.
Preferred Qualifications: Master’s degree in education with an emphasis in curriculum and instruction preferred; excellent ability to work with people; excellent organizational skills; excellent ability to speak in front of groups; experience in working with gifted students; extensive experience in developing curriculum and using varied pedagogical methods with adolescents; administrative experience in academic institutions; willingness to travel.
Preferred Experience: Minimum of five years of relevant experience in an education or related setting and 3 years of management experience. Background in curriculum and instruction preferred, including, but not limited to Project Based Learning, standards based assessment, teaching and learning in institute of higher education.
Requisition Number 401454363
Duke Entity UNIVERSITY
Job Code 1493 ADMINISTRATIVE MANAGER
Job Family Level 14
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a general business back ground generally equivalent to abachelor's degree in a business related field.
Work requires 4 years related business or administrative experience toacquire competence in applying general personnel practices, accountingand budgeting principles and coordination of major administrativefunctions.A master's degree in a business related field may be substituted for 2years experience.OR ANY OTHER EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OREXPERIENCE
Auto req ID