Research Specialist B
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
The Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania is the oldest and one of the finest medical schools in the United States. Penn is rich in tradition and heritage and at the same time consistently at the forefront of new developments and innovations in medical education and research. Since its founding in 1765 the School has been a strong presence in the community and prides itself on educating the leaders of tomorrow in patient care, biomedical research, and medical education. http://www.med.upenn.edu/
The laboratory of Dr. Marco Ruella of the University of Pennsylvania in collaboration with the Lymphoma Clinical and Translational Research Program of the Abramson Cancer Center seeks a full-time RESEARCH SPECIALIST B. The Research Specialist B will retrieve and process samples (e.g. peripheral blood, bone marrow and/or other tissues) and maintain a rigorous database of these samples. He/she will also run experiments using multi-parametric flow cytometry, molecular biology (PCR), other techniques (cell culture, T cell functional experiments and immunology tests) and animal models (i.e. rodents). The successful candidate will comply with all policies relating to UPHS, GLP, OSHA, and other laboratory standards.
This individual will work under general supervision. Specific responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Perform in vitro experiments, including flow cytometry, molecular biology techniques and immunological studies.
- Perform in vivo experiments, using murine models (tumor/T cell injection, tumor monitoring, bleeding and animal handling). Prepare reports of the experiments and activities as required.
- Prepare reports of the experiments and activities as required. Organize and maintain all documentation required by the protocol – includes source documentation, case report forms, and research charts.
- Retrieve, process and store specimens including blood, urine, stool and tissue samples per protocol guidelines. Provide off-hours coverage in case of late samples. Provide essential emergency off-hours coverage as the second point-of-contact in the event of any threat to specimen integrity such as a freezer malfunction.
- Maintain a database of all the samples with relevant information. Collect, review and report timely, valid, accurate study data.
- Lab organization and maintenance.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Position is contingent on continued funding
Bachelor’s degree in Biology or a related field and 1-3 years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience required. Key qualifications required for this job are: experience in cell culture, cell processing (Ficoll, freezing, thawing) and molecular biology (DNA/RNA/protein extraction and RT-PCR). The candidate should be passionate about doing cancer research. Attention to organization and detail are required as he/she will be working with clinical samples. In addition, candidates with experience in immunology and clinical-grade cell processing preferred.
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.