Post-Doctoral Fellow in Electrical Engineering
Electrical and Computer Engineering
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines The Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research and The Petroleum Institute into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering. Khalifa University of Science and Technology endeavors to be a leader among research intensive universities of the 21st century, while catalyzing the growth of Abu Dhabi and the UAE’s rapidly developing knowledge economy.
This project aims to develop a novel Radiation sensing device using the RRAM technology along with other electronics. A Post-Doc is needed to work on the development of the device in a lab-on-chip platform for sensing ionizing electromagnetic radiation under extreme ambient conditions. He/She will work with a multidisciplinary research team involving other research staff members and faculty from Chemistry, ECE, and Nuclear Engineering Departments. The first task involves screening the thermo-mechanical suitability of a variety of substrates, packaging and electrode materials to withstand low temperature and vacuum environments. The second task involves design development and device fabrication using wet and dry methods and micro-patterning techniques to build a suitable assembly that can withstand high-vacuum and low temperature conditions. The fabrication will be followed by extensive electrical and material characterization to study and optimize the electrical functionality of the device as well as demonstrate its suitability for the detection of ionizing radiation under the vacuum and cold temperature conditions. The ultimate task would be to develop and validate a calibration model that enables a quantitative correlation between a number of key device operating parameters and radiation dose or energy. The last phase will involve extensive investigation of the electrical response of the integrated platform of the RRAM and other electronics as a function of various environmental parameters.
The candidate will be working on the following tasks:
- Work with the PI and co-PI to decide on material used for active layer and electrode.
- Provide full support for fabricating the sensor and its associated circuitry
- Provide support for physical and chemical characterization of the materials using in house and external capabilities.
- Carry out electrical characterization of the device to establish sensitivity and calibration to radiation in vacuum.
- Establish structure-to-performance relationships based on a fundamental understanding of radiation interaction with matter.
- Provide support for interpolating the effect of radiation on the device and the effect of radiation on the periphery circuits (microcontroller, .. etc)
- Provide teaching and supervision support at both undergrad and postgrad levels
- Contribute effectively in the grant activities, reporting and its general welfare.
PhD in Electrical Engineering, Physics Material Science with emphasis on RRAM (memristor) technology.
In-depth experience in memristor device synthesis, characterization and modeling. Experience in radiation or sensing application is a plus
In-depth experience with Matlab, Spice simulation. Excellent writing and communication skills.
How To Apply
You will be required to attach the following:
- Passport-size photograph
- Teaching and Research Statement