Classified Title: Tutor
Working Title: Quantitative Tutor
Starting Salary Range: $17.03 - $25/hour (Commensurate with Experience)
Employee group: Casual / On Call
Employee subgroup: S1 Hrly Exmpt
Location: 01-DC:District of Columbia
Department name: 60000051-Student Services
Personnel area: Carey Business School
Purpose of Position
The quantitative tutor serves as an online and/or in-person coach to Carey Business School students seeking assistance with quantitative courses and programming software. The tutor’s goal is to support the Student Success Center’s mission by providing students with additional academic support in a professional manner. The tutor assists students in understanding content by using various teaching/tutoring strategies and will prepare and lead final exam group study sessions. The tutor will also be expected to attend a mandatory orientation.
Note: Up to 20 hours/week, depending on student demand and center needs. Must be able to work on site and online, evenings and weekends.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
In-person/online Tutoring (95%)
- Provide students with assistance in quantitative courses and programming.
- Use various teaching strategies to tutor.
- Keep records of appointments and student progress.
- Prepare and lead final exam group study sessions.
Administrative Tasks (5%)
- Creating resources.
- Updating marketing materials.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Education, Experience, Licensure, Certification
- At least a Bachelor’s degree, Master’s preferred.
- Must have completed courses interested in tutoring with at least a B+ or be working toward a Master’s or PhD in a related field.
- Experience tutoring or teaching preferred.
- Vast knowledge of a range of quantitative and finance courses is highly preferred.
- Experience using online tutoring platforms such as Zoom, Skype, or Google Hangouts.
Knowledge and Skill
- Excellent communication skills and mastery of English.
- Knowledge of MATLAB, R, Python, Excel, C++ or SPSS preferred.
- Knowledge of teaching principles and tutoring strategies preferred.
- Reliable, patient and professional.
- Ability to maintain a professional working relationship with students, staff, and faculty.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information