Associate Director of Alumni Relations
The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Consistently ranked as the #1 School of public health in the world, The Bloomberg School (BSPH) is a mission driven institution focused on protecting health, saving lives, millions at a time. Our faculty, students, and alumni work in 120 countries conducting thousands of research projects to advance the science and practice of public health. The development team works collaboratively with our faculty to raise between $75-$100 million annually from thousands of individuals, corporations and foundations.
The Associate Director of Alumni Relations is responsible for executing the School’s annual giving program and alumni relations strategy, as well as leading several key initiatives within those programs. Reporting to the Director of Constituent Relations, this is a highly collaborative position, requiring close working relationships with development colleagues across the university and the academic departments of the School, along with volunteer management duties.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop creative strategies and serve as project manager for the annual giving program: liaise with Development and Alumni Relations (DAR) Office of Annual Giving; convene a working group of Office of External Affairs (OEA) colleagues who will assist in developing short- and long-term annual giving goals, provide content for the appeals, and help analyze annual giving results; manage the schedule for all BSPH appeals (both school-wide and department/program specific).
- Develop analysis tools to track annual giving and alumni relations activities to determine effectiveness, discover and cultivate opportunities for programmatic collaboration, and produce reports for senior staff, including the Dean
- Collaborate with department and center liaisons on specific appeals
- Develop, execute, and coordinate a plan for non-solicitation engagement communications, including but not limited to departmental and school wide e-newsletters, working closely with BSPH academic departments, communications team, and content strategy working group
- Manage discovery prospect pool of approximately 100 prospects in the $1K - $50K range for specific visit and engagement strategies
- Lead alumni awards nomination process – work with development writer to create nominations
- Coordinate on-campus and regional alumni events, including assisting with invitation lists, briefing materials, managing event website, attending and helping during events as needed
- Travel, on average, six days a month
- Responsible for conducting a minimum of 75 visits per year
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Three years fundraising-related, volunteer management, and event planning experience required.
- Ideal candidate will have the ability to thrive in an intellectually challenging, fast-paced, collegial environment.
- Political savvy, integrity, discretion and pragmatic consensus building skills required; mature judgment in handling sensitive and confidential information required.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills and a highly professional image with the ability to interact with faculty, staff, donors and volunteers at all levels required.
- Ability to organize and establish objectives and priorities in a complex organizational environment required.
- Regional and national travel required.
- This position requires someone with a strong commitment to and passion for the mission of Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
- Experience writing a variety of annual giving solicitations preferred.
- Experience with marketing various planned giving vehicles preferred.