Starting Salary Range: $12.76 - $16.77
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Mon-Fri; 8:30am - 5:00pm
Employee subgroup: Salaried Non-exmt
Location: 600 N. Wolfe Street
Department name: 10003085-SOM Ped NICU
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The full-time position reports directly to Akhil Maheshwari in Department of Pediatrics. The Laboratory Technician will assist in the development and execution of several projects involving mouse colony management and genotyping, tissue culture, histology, molecular cloning, and/or data analysis in stem cell lab.
- Mouse colony management
- Routine molecular biology, cell culture, and histology
- Performs laboratory tests and/or experiments, which may include various assays, specialized techniques such as electrophoresis and basic tissue culture, following established procedures or protocols.
- Operates requisite laboratory equipment and instruments; records data; maintains and makes minor adjustment to equipment.
- Performs histological processing, including sectioning, staining, and image analysis.
- Prepares solutions, reagents, and stains following standard laboratory formulas and procedures.
- Prepares, cleans, sterilizes, and maintains laboratory equipment, glassware, and instruments used in research experiments.
High School Diploma/ GED with some science coursework.
- Some experience working with mouse models preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry or related field preferred.
- Experience with flow cytometry, ELISA, and/or immunohistochemistry helpful, but not required.
- Training Certificate from Technical Institute preferred.
- Certificate from technical institute or internship experience preferred.
- Experience or interest in tissue culture, neuroscience, and engineering preferred.
Special knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Entry to medial level skills in mouse colony management is essential
- Molecular and Cellular Biology is highly desirable.
- Detail-oriented and conscientious.
- Basic computer skills: Internet and email software, spreadsheet software, and word processing.
- Ability to work overtime should an experiment or the PI request.
Any specific physical requirements for the job:
Ability to sit/stand for long periods of times.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information: