Clinical Social Worker
2F/2G MEDICINE CLINIC
Level I Provide psychosocial assessments, diagnosis, and treatment, as well as discharge planning to and consultation about patients and families to assist them and the health care team in coping with patient's hospitalization, illness, diagnosis, treatment, and/or life situation, including emotional, mental, and substance abuse disorders. Level II Function in a supervisory role as a team leader in addition to the duties and responsibilities of Level I.
- Provide psychosocial assessments of patients and families to identify emotional, social, and environmental strengths and problems related to their diagnosis, illness, treatment, and/or life situation.
- Formulate, develop, and implement a comprehensive psychosocial treatment plan utilizing appropriate clinical social work treatments and interventions. Interventions may include crisis intervention, brief and long-term individual, marital, family and/or group therapies as well as grief and bereavement work.
- Screen, identify, diagnose using DSM nomenclature, treat and manage mental health and/or substance abuse problems in patients and family members.
- Provide training to other health care professionals.
- May perform these functions independently or as part of a team.
- Assist with screening, identification, diagnosis, management and treatment of victims of abuse, neglect, domestic violence, rape,etc.
- May participate in on-call or after hours coverage.
- Provide consultative services to health care team members within scope of care definitions as needed.
- Maintain a working knowledge of relevant medical/legal issues that impact on patient care, e.g., advance directives, child and elder abuse.
- Provide education to patients and families around issues related to adaptation to the patient's diagnosis, illness, treatment and/or life situation.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary healthcare teams and provide leadership in representing clinical social work perspective/liaison with patient and family.
- Provide teaching and training for students, staff, and faculty from social work and other disciplines.
- Contribute to the academic mission of the medical center and health system by participating in academic activities such as committees, conferences, publications, teaching and research.
- Maintain working knowledge of and liaison with community agencies and resources.
- Arrange, procure, and coordinate patient/family pre and post hospital needs.
- Knowledge of hospital, medical center and/or health system resources to access and provide for patient care needs.
- Document assessment, plan, interactions, and interventions according to departmental, hospital and/or health system guidelines and standards.
- Maintain records and statistics in accordance with department, hospital, medical center and/or health system policies.
- Attend and participate in staff, committee, department, and other administrative meetings.
- Participate in department, hospital, medical center,and/or health system continuous quality improvement efforts.
- Participate in regular supervisory conferences; keep current with social work and health care developments and seek to increase further enhancement of job related knowledge.
- Level II
- Perform all of the duties and responsibilities of Level I.
- Provide clinical and administrative supervision for social workers and clinical social workers on the team.
- Lead team meetings and manage coverage.
- Participate in hiring and performance management processes.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Adherence to the practice standards and ethical guidelines of NASW and the NC Certification Board for Social Work.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A solid knowledge of clinical social work practice.
- Excellent assessment, interviewing, and counseling skills with expertise in mental health and substance abuse areas; familiar with psychopathology and with range of therapeutic interventions including psychopharmocotherapy; and if working independently, must know when to refer for further medical assessment.
- Ability to work effectively and autonomously in a self directed role.
- Highly collaborative with strong interpersonal and team building skills.
- Ability to prioritize multiple work assignments and manage time efficiently.
- Flexibility in accepting diverse work assignments and managing stress related to change.
- Basic computer skills
- Level II
- Same as Level I plus strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Ability to resolve/manage conflict.
- Ability to help implement departmental, hospital and/or DUHS initiatives.
Requisition Number 401467171
Duke Entity DUKE HOSPITAL
Job Code 5028 CLINICAL SOCIAL WORKER
Job Family Level F1
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Level I and Level IIMaster's degree in social work from an accredited school ofsocial work .
Level IThree or more years of social work experience in a healthcare setting or social service agency with one of three years may besocial work internship. Two years recent post master's experience in aclinical setting preferred.Level II Same as Level I plus fiveyears post master's experience in a health care or social serviceagency. Experience in leadership and supervising.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Level I and Level IICurrent licensure as a licensed clinical social worker by the NC SocialWork Certification and Licensure Board.
Auto req ID