Be accountable for the day to day operational activities associated with patient care and testing in the Clinical Microbiology Laboratory. Able to work a bench at least 1 day a week to remain proficient and help the technologists on the bench with their work. Duties and responsibilities as the medical director specifies the position classification are as follows:
- Model positive behavior that encourages a work culture supportive of the DUHS Behavioral Values.
- Demonstrate strong written and verbal communications skills necessary to facilitate positive interactions with employees, patients (and patient families), lab leadership, administration and all laboratory customers.
- Act as a mentor, coach and role model for subordinate staff within the DRH Laboratory.
- Maintain a positive and professional attitude during stressful situations and periods of issues resolution.
- Maintain the technical expertise to provide guidance and troubleshooting skills in the DUH Microbiology Laboratory. This will include carrying the department on-call pager.
- Demonstrate leadership and mentorship skills to champion departmental changes, necessary to improve workflow, quality and patient care in support of our customers.
- Provide proactive leadership skills that are conducive to creative problem solving. Support “out of the box” thinking that works with the laboratory team to encourage the development and implementation of the best possible solution in support of quality patient care within established guidelines.
- Support and participate in DUH laboratory work culture initiatives. Work with staff and other lab leadership to develop a department specific work culture plan that is reviewed and revised on an annual basis.
- Adhere to all DUHS and departmental policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain sufficient inventory of material supplies and reagents and communicate when supplies require ordering. Assist with putting inventory away in a timely fashion to ensure product integrity. Ensure that reagents and supplies are rotated verifying expiration dates. Discard expired materials and notify the Inventory lead and manager so that replacement can be made in a timely manner.
- Supervise the work of laboratory personnel engaged in performing routine and specialized technical procedures, including planning laboratory work, evaluating work performed and handling procedural and technical laboratory problems.
- Ensure that new employee orientation lists are successfully completed for new hires during the probationary period.
- Ability to train, orient and evaluate the job performance of various laboratory personnel.
- Ensure competency assessments are completed as per CAP requirements annually for existing employees. Coordinate continuing education opportunities for staff on an ongoing basis to support employee development.
- Work in a positive manner with laboratory customers to ensure that customer needs are met and that issue resolution takes place in a timely manner. Represent the DUH laboratory in a professional and positive manner at department, hospital and DUHS Clinical Laboratory committee meetings and work groups.
- Work with the Technologists to develop and implement quality assurance programs to ensure reliability of testing procedures, proper function of laboratory equipment and compliance with federal regulations (ie. CAP). Prepare and maintain applicable records.
- Interpret accrediting agency standards or guidelines for department testing program and translate the requirements into policies and procedures. Initiate corrective action as soon as a deficiency is identified. Complete checklist and other information sheets required. Coordinate and ensure lab preparedness for on-site inspection of accreditation bodies.
- Prepare technical reports reflecting volume of work, procedures utilized and test results (ie. customized lab specific reports). Coordinate the preparation of reports and analyses to set forth progress, reveal adverse trends and make appropriate recommendations and conclusions (ie. balanced score card).
- Work with the Tech III and IV to coordinate and participate in the development of new laboratory procedures and techniques. Plan, develop and present training sessions and/or teaching aids as needed to facilitate training of employees for new equipment / procedures / protocols.
- Participate in various personnel functions including but not limited to: performance management, interviewing, hiring, performance appraisals, promotions, transfers etc.
- Monitor quality control, quality assurance, safety and infection control practices to assure compliance with internal and external regulations.
- Follow-up of SRS reports (DUHS Safety Reporting System) for the designated area of responsibility in a timely manner.
- Ensure working knowledge of various laboratory and hospital information systems and software programs. Assist in the annual validation of the Electronic Laboratory Manual. Assist in the annual LIS system validation.
- Delegate assignments as appropriate to staff and the Lab Technologist III & IV.
- Support, coach and mentor the Lab Technologist III & IV in their daily functions as needed and to ensure employee development.
- Works with the Lab Technologist to design appropriate work schedules for subordinate employees. Plan daily work assignments in order to maintain adequate personnel complement to ensure laboratory efficiency.
- Ensure the laboratory has sufficient supplies, reagents and products to ensure quality care.
- Work with the Lab Technologist to maintain sufficient inventory of products, material supplies and equipment for performance of duties.
- Carry department pager to enable off shift consult as needed.
- Coordinate clinical student rotations to include instruction in laboratory methods, procedures and protocols.
- Provide advanced problem solving, troubleshooting, interpretation/consultation, verification of specimen quality and test results.
- Stay abreast of and execute latest technical and management developments including new lab procedures.
- Demonstrate decision-making abilities in all aspects of performance.
Requisition Number 401462637
Duke Entity DUHS CLINICAL LABS
Job Code 5055 LABORATORY SUPERVISOR
Job Family Level G1
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
- Responsibility for day-to-day supervision and/or oversight of the laboratory operation and personnel performing testing and reporting test results.
- Formulate goals and/or recommend policy, assign objectives, and establish standards of practice.
- Provide direct supervision of all high complexity testing and maintain contact with laboratory at all times either with onsite presence or via pager.
- Monitor testing to ensure that acceptable levels of analytic performance are maintained.
- Evaluate personnel to assure competence prior to test reporting
- Provide oversight for departmental proficiency testing to ensure: all aspects of proficiency testing are properly followed; reviewed and remedial action is taken and documented following failures. Ensure proficiency surveys are submitted and received at CAP by the required due date.
- Quality assurance and Quality Control programs are established, maintained and are effective in identifying problems.
- Procedure manuals are available and have been reviewed annually by director, manager, supervisor, Tech IV, Tech III (as appropriate).
Responsibilities delegated from the director or technical supervisor include:
- Ensure remedial action is taken and documented whenever tests systems deviate from established performance specifications
- Review and document proficiency testing and follow up on outliers.
- Ensure that patient testing results are not reported until corrective action has been taken and the test system is functioning properly
- Participate in the annual evaluation, competency testing and documentation for all testing personnel
- Receive, review and prepare technical reports reflecting volume of work, procedures utilized and test results; coordinate the preparation of reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and appropriate corrective action.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology or related field OR has met the minimal education and experience requirements as outlined by a nationally recognized Med Tech certifying body.
5 years full time experience as a medical technologist in a clinical laboratory setting.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
ASCP, NCA or equivalent.
Auto req ID