HWPER - Administration
Working Title: DIRECTOR OF MARKETING AND SPECIAL EVENTS
This is a full-time position under the direct supervision of the Managing Director of Recreation Programs. The Director is responsible for the development, direction and evaluation of a comprehensive marketing program and the administration of annual departmental special events.
This role includes educating the community about Recreation and Physical Education’s offerings and being a leader on campus in recreation, health, and wellness education.
The Director will promote and cultivate an environment that values inclusiveness and diversity, engage in evidence-based decision-making, and promotes student development and learning. This position will supervise and manage a full-time Coordinator, oversee special events, and represent Recreation and Physical Education at university-level special events.
- Responsible for the development, direction and evaluation of comprehensive marketing and branding strategies for the department’s services, programs, and facilities.
- Coordinates the recruitment, hiring, training, supervision and evaluation of the Coordinator of Marketing and Graphic Design and student employees.
- Develops and executes, from conception to production, a wide array of publicity, promotional, communication and marketing materials utilizing a variety of print and digital media.
- Oversees the creation and production of printed materials and continuously updates and enhances the departmental website, digital display monitors, and social media outlets.
- Manages website design and content management in an accurate and timely manner.
- Designs, communicates, and upholds departmental branding standards that create consistency and recognition across all marketing platforms.
- Assesses effectiveness and satisfaction of marketing and outreach strategies on an ongoing basis.
- Communicates effectively and facilitates ongoing planning meetings with program and facility Directors/Coordinators and administrative staff.
- Produces and maintains an active plan and timeline for all marketing campaigns to include evaluation and assessment of the effectiveness of campaigns.
- Coordinates and leads outreach opportunities at campus orientations, involvement fairs, and other campus-wide programs.
- Provides leadership to the department’s Special Events Committee to develop and implement special events designed for the recreational needs of the campus community.
- Provides event planning resources and guidance for program events and is responsible for collecting and organizing event records.
- Coordinates and adheres to departmental risk management efforts for all outreach programming and special events.
- Serves as a liaison between Recreation and Physical Education, Duke Athletics, Student Affairs, and other off-campus groups for outreach initiatives and special events.
Preferred Education and Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree from accredited institution in Marketing, Graphic Design, Communications, Public Relations, Recreation Administration, Sport Management, or related field. Five or more years of professional work experience in marketing or related field. Four or more years of previous experience supervising a full-time marketing professional. Must have experience developing marketing and branding strategies. Must have experience managing websites and social media accounts.
Must have experience maintaining an annual budget. Must have experience developing, organizing, and coordinating special events. Must have excellent written and oral communication skills. Must be proficient in Adobe Design Suite, Microsoft Office, HTML, CRM and willing to learn new programs. Must have current CPR, First Aid, and AED certification or be able to obtain within two months of employment.
Master’s degree from accredited institution in Marketing, Graphic Design, Communications, Event Planning, Recreation Administration, Sport Management, or related field. Seven or more years of professional work experience in marketing or related field. Four or more years of previous experience supervising a full-time marketing professional. Evidence of strong leadership, mentoring, and staff development skills. Experience with assessment efforts and data analysis. Experience collaborating with campus partners to coordinate and organize special events for students, faculty, staff, and recreation center members.
How to Apply:
Applications must include: cover letter, resume, three professional references, and a minimum of two print/digital design samples. Design samples may be attached to the email or linked to an online portfolio. Priority consideration will be given to applications received by Monday, September 3rd. For more information on Duke University Recreation and Physical Education please go to: https://recreation.duke.edu/
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, veteran status, or disability. Duke Athletics has a strong commitment to Affirmative Action and is actively seeking to increase the racial and ethnic diversity of our staff.
Requisition Number 401464075
Duke Entity CENTRAL ADMIN MANAGEMENT CTR
Job Code 1266 PROMOTIONS SPECIALIST
Job Family Level 10
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires analytical, communications and organizational skills generally acquired through completion of a bachelor's degree program.
Work requires one year of experience in program administration or involving academic, instructional or counseling activities to acquire skills necessary to plan, coordinate and implement a variety of program activities and events.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID