MC E&O - Maintenance
Perform installation and repairs to various forms of process piping such as steam, chilled water,condenser water, air, gas and domestic water. Install and repair steam stations, heat exchangers, steam traps, pumps, valves etc. Perform various welding tasks such as building platforms, steps,rails, bollards, fences, gates etc.
- Perform installation and repairs to various forms of process piping
- such as steam, chilled water,condenser water, air, gas and domestic water. Install and repair steam
- stations, heat exchangers, steam traps, pumps, valves etc.
- Perform various welding tasks such as building platforms, steps,rails, bollards, fences, gates etc.
- Select, inspect, use and maintain block and tackle, chain hoists,come-alongs, jacks and tuggers for use in rigging.
- Install the appropriate pipe hangers for piping systems and read and interpret pipe support drawings and symbols.
- Read and interpret blueprints including plot plans,equipment location plans, P&IDs,structural steel plans, piping ISOs, detail sheets, line indexes,drawing indexes and instrument summaries.
- Read and interpret pipe fitting standards, codes, and specifications and identify pipe and components according to specifications.
- Identify types of pipe, flanges, gaskets and bolts and install pipe sleeves and floor penetrations.
- Test piping systems including pretests, service flow tests, head pressure tests, hydrostatic tests and steam blow tests.
- Prepare base metals for cutting or welding.
- Perform oxy fuel cutting tasks including straight line,piercing, bevels, washing and gouging.
- Use fit-up gauges and other measuring devices used to align plate and pipe fit-up.
- Connect welding current and setup arc welding equipment and clean welds.
- Perform air carbon arc cutting and gouging tasks.
- Read welding detail drawings and symbols.
- Read welding detail drawings including lines, fills,object views and dimensioning.
- Preheat metals, maintain interpass temperatures and post weld heat treatment.
- Install and maintain steam traps including mechanical,thermostatic and thermodynamic as well as strainers.
- Identify and maintain components of condensate return systems. Install and maintain the various types of steam control valves. Install and maintain flash tanks and related components.
- Install and maintain steam and condensate metering devices.
- Perform plasma arc cutting tasks including piercing, slotting, squaring and beveling metals.
- Perform basic shielded metal arc welding tasks including stringers, weaves,overlapping beads and fillet welds and be able to detect and correct arc blow.
- Use gas tungsten arc welding to make multi-pass V-butt open-groove welds with carbon steel filler metal.
- Perform shielded metal arc groove welds, open V-butt welds, stainless steel groove welds, and open-root pipe welds.
- Perform gas tungsten arc welding on carbon steel, stainless steel, and low-alloy steel pipe.
- Identify metals using visual inspection, magnetic testing and spark testing.
- Perform gas metal arc welding including stringer beads, weave beads and multi-pass fillet welds.
- Perform flux cored arc welding to make open-root V-groove pipe welds.
- Perform flux cored arc welding including stringer beads, weave beads and multi-pass fillet welds.
- Review design documents and evaluate compliance to standards and codes.
- A broad knowledgeof pipingsystems and structural welding applications.
- Conduct job-site inspections to determine compliance to standards and codes.
- The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification.
- This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Requisition Number 401464444
Duke Entity MEDICAL CENTER
Job Code 985 WELDER (CERT)
Job Family Level 09
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires an understanding of blueprints and welding normally acquired through a high school education with course work in skilled crafts or shop. Possess a valid North Carolina driver's license. ASME Welding Certification.
Work requires four years of experience as a process piping/fabrication/structural welder or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
Auto req ID