Pharmacy Tech II-Continuity of Care Program Pharmacy
CONTINUITY OF CARE PROGRAM PHARMACY
General Description of the Job Class
The Continuity of Care Technician is a self-motivated, independent pharmacy technician in a high-volume work environment responsible for working collaboratively with the Transitions of Care Manager within the Clinical and Patient Care Services Division to perform medication history interviews and assessments for patients at Duke University Hospital.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
Use high-level communication skills to obtain accurate prior to admission home medication list information from patient/caregiver interviews, retail pharmacies, or physician offices with persistence to achieve the highest level of accuracy with every interview in a high volume outpatient clinic
- Ensure complete documentation for each identified medication in the electronic medical record
- Dedication to high quality accurate work with careful attention to detail
- Provide for pharmacy technician and student training and development regarding medication history interviews and documentation
- Ensure necessary safety and quality control in the medication use system.
- Participate in departmental goal planning and quality improvement activities, focused on care transitions
- Supports the medication reconciliation program, encompassing both admission and discharge processes.
- Participates in committee, work group or team meetings
- Contributes to development projects (design, implementation, measuring impact)
- Work collaboratively with various member of the healthcare team including Advanced Practice Providers to communicate pertinent information and improve transitions-of-care in the outpatient setting
- Takes responsibility for personal and professional growth
- Maintains familiarity with all departmental programs
- Perform other related duties incidental to work described herein
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of drug names (brand/generic), basic math
- Must be able to operate a computer, telephone, fax machine, pager, and other pharmacy equipment
- Attention to detail and persistence in work ethic
- Necessary communication and interpersonal skills to maintain effective working relationships with patients, co-workers, and other health care professionals
- Able to work independently and prioritize responsibilities in a high volume outpatient clinic
High school diploma or equivalent and completion of a certified pharmacy technician training program
Work requires a minimum of five years experience as a Certified Pharmacy Technician plus completion of advanced competencies checklist as documented and approved by the Department of Pharmacy or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
Experience performing medication histories/reconciliation is preferred.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Must be eligible for registration with the NC Board of Pharmacy
Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) certification required
Requisition Number 401464476
Duke Entity DUKE HOSPITAL
Job Code 4121 PHARMACY TECH II
Job Family Level C1
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Work requires high school or equivalent. Successful completionof a formalized Pharmacy Technician program preferred.
Work requires a minimum of two years experience as a PharmacyTechnician plus completion of advanced competencies checklist asdocumented and approved by the Department of Pharmacy.OR ANEQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Pharmacy technician certification is required from the PharmacyTechnician Certification Board (PTCB).North Carolina Board of Pharmacy registration is required.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Auto req ID