Online Programs Tutorial Assistant, Spanish
Classified Title: Tutorial Assistant Distance Education
Working Title: CTY Online Programs Tutorial Assistant - Spanish
Starting Salary Range: $14.00 - $15.00 per hour
Employee group: Casual / On Call
Schedule: hours and schedule will vary
Employee subgroup: S1 Hrly Non-Exmpt
Department name: 10000114-DE Writing Humanities Social Science
Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers
General nature or purpose of the job:
The tutorial assistant supports academically talented students enrolled in Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth (CTY) online Spanish courses.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist students in improving their writing skills.
- Converse with students in Spanish via Skype.
- Monitor student progress and assist students in accomplishing established learning objectives.
- Interact independently with students using distance education technologies, primarily Moodle, Adobe Connect, Skype and e-mail.
- Provide timely feedback to students and their parents on coursework and progress.
- Coordinate with the course instructor to conduct tutorial sessions.
- Report concerns with students, courseware, or systems to supervisor.
- Suggest improvements to course contents.
- Submit hours worked via established system according to schedule provided by CTY.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Degree of independent action performed on the job:
Moderate degree of independent action.
Internal and external contacts required as part of the job:
- Collaborative relationships with the World Language Program Manager, Spanish instructors, and CTY Online Programs administrators and staff.
- Frequent contact with students and parents via Skype, email, and web-based virtual meeting room software.
Minimum required education and related work experience:
- High school diploma/GED required; Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university preferred.
- Experience working as a tutor or teaching assistant for at least one semester.
Required special skills and knowledge:
- Native-like proficiency in Spanish language.
- Demonstrated ability to teach students to develop students' written and conversational skills in Spanish.
Preferred special skills and knowledge:
- Demonstrated ability to teach students to develop their written and conversational skills in Spanish.
- Experience teaching students from diverse backgrounds.
- Extensive communication and organizational proficiencies along with excellent interpersonal skills.
Computer or other special needs for the position:
- Must have a computer with broadband Internet access.
- Familiarity with Online education technologies a plus, such as Moodle, Adobe Connect and Skype.
Machines and/or equipment used on the job, include % of time used:
Physical requirements for the job:
- Ability to sit in a normal seated position for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard, mouse pad and other office machinery.
- The incumbent will be required to communicate regularly via telephone and face to face with internal and external customers and must be able to exchange accurate and timely information in these settings.
- Position also requires a degree of mobility common to working in an office environment; bending, kneeling or standing during events and presentations may be required.
- Work hours vary and are flexible; including weekends and evenings as determined with supervisor.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the US.
All employees participating in or serving children in University programs must participate in mandatory Child Abuse Prevention online training on the appropriate conduct around children, protecting children from abuse and neglect, and reporting of known or suspected child abuse and neglect.
CTY Online Programs offer students in grades preK-12 challenging academic coursework throughout the year. For more information, please visit: cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information