Fibre Optics Technical Engineer
1 day left
- Full Time
Are you an experienced fibre optics engineer looking to take part in the operation, maintenance and extension of fibre optics networks in a large industrial setting? Contribute your skills to the infrastructure for the major communication systems that constitute CERN's accelerator complex. CERN, take part!
You will be joining the Engineering Department (EN), Electrical Engineering Group (EL), Fibre Optics and Cabling Section (FC):
- The Department that provides engineering competencies, infrastructure systems, and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The Group that is responsible for CERN's electrical and optical fibre distribution networks. Its main missions are to operate, maintain, extend and renovate the electrical network from 400 kV to 400/230 V and the optical fibre infrastructure, analyse and make projections for CERN's electrical energy consumption and manage relations with the energy suppliers. The group is also in charge of modifications and extensions to the networks when required by new projects, with project studies, equipment procurement, installation, supervision and commissioning.
- The Fibre Optics and Cabling Section (FC) that is in charge of CERN's optical fibre infrastructure, ensures the technical expertise in the field of fibre optics, and provides optical and copper signal cables, standardised racks and DC power cables for magnets in the accelerators and experimental areas. The Section provides engineering support to the CERN users, centralises their cabling requests and organises the installation activities through external industrial-support contractors.
As a fibre optics technical engineer in the FC section, you will actively contribute to the continuous extension, consolidation, and maintenance of CERN's optical fibre network constituting the infrastructure for the major communication systems of the various accelerators, including CERN's current leading project: the High-Luminosity Large Hadron Collider (HL-LHC).
- Take responsibility for project preparation and deployment concerning the optical fibre network.
- Organize optical fibre cabling installation campaigns on CERN sites, requiring close and frequent on-site interactions with contractors and CERN users from other Groups/Departments.
- Be in charge of the deployment of the optical fibre management system and related database tools.
- Participate in the design of the optical fibre network and its upgrades in view of improving its reliability and availability.
- Draw up technical specifications and manage industrial supply contracts.
- Select and define optical cabling components, installation methodologies, testing procedures, and naming conventions.
- Prepare data analysis, statistics and forecasting and follow-up project costs and financial plans.
- Provide specialized engineering support to optical fibre users.
- Contribute to copper cabling activities, as required.