Senior Research Technician
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
This job opening is for a Senior Research Technician in the Proteome Exploration Laboratory (PEL). Successful applicants will implement various sample preparation and LC-MS/MS techniques for proteomics analysis and will be part of a creative and dynamic environment. The PEL performs state-of-the-art research in proteomics-based mass spectrometry. We aim to develop mass spectrometry instruments that exceed the normal resources of individual research programs and make those technologies available as a shared resource. We also strive to provide an environment rich in expertise and educational resources. We collaborate with Caltech scientists from various backgrounds (biology, chemistry, geosciences, engineering) as well as external institutions.
This position is a benefits-based one year term position.
– Conduct complex mass spectrometry experiments, including sample set up and instrument configuration. Perform general maintenance of mass spectrometers including instrument calibration, small maintenance procedures, cleaning ion sources, etc.
– Operate, maintain, and troubleshoot HPLC instrumentation including Nano-LC devices.
– Sustain excellent instrument performance by implementing the quality control measures routinely.
– Implement new HPLC and MS techniques and optimize them for ongoing research projects.
– Maintain excellent records of experimental methods and instrument performance for future reference.
– Perform various biochemical analyses such as protein quantification and proteolysis.
– Maintain laboratory supply and reagent inventory to fully support the ongoing and upcoming research needs of the lab. Proactively submit purchase requests for needed research supplies and reagents so that there are no delays affecting scheduled research.
– Provide instruction and training of proteomics sample preparations, applications, and analyses.
– Perform independent research projects defined by the PEL Director.
– B.S. degree required in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology or related field.
– Five years of related experience in scientific research specifically in mass spectrometry-based proteomics.
– Demonstrated ability to perform independently, communicate scientific results, and participate in a highly collaborative environment.
– Must possess a strong work ethic and be self-motivated to learn and become familiar with primary scientific literature.
– Excellent communication, time management, attention to detail, and organization skills are essential.
– M.S. degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology or other relevant field.
– Five years or more of first hand experience in the operation of current mass spectrometers including Thermo, ABSciex, and Agilent systems preferred.