Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Beckman Institute Biological Imaging Facility (BIF) is seeking a Microscopy Technician. The BIF is the only core facility on the Caltech campus for light microscopy. The BIF has nine microscopes: six are confocal, the seventh is a wide field deconvolution microscope and the last two are Light Sheet Fluorescence microscopes. Most of the microscopes are Zeiss instruments. In addition to microscopes, the BIF also provides software resources for processing the data collected by researchers at Caltech.
– Assist the Director with application support as well as maintenance, calibration, and repair of the instruments and/or computes in the Imaging Facility.
– Among the more advanced applications, the technician will help with time lapse imaging, imaging with non-descanned detectors, two photon confocal microscopy, deconvolution fluorescence correlation spectroscopy, super resolution microscopy, and spectral unmixing.
– Train new users.
– Other duties as assigned.
– Bachelor's degree.
– Experience in light microscopy, especially laser scanning confocal microscopy.
– Ability to work independently as well as with Caltech researchers.
– Open to learning new techniques.
– Experience on the newest Zeiss laser scanning confocal microscopes and Zen software.
– Previous experience working in a microscopy core.
– Familiarity with microscopes from either Leica, La Vision Biotech, or Perkin Elmer.
– Experience with MATLAB, the Imaris 3D imaging software and the Huygens deconvolution software.