Research Associate in Electrical Engineering
Organization Name Electrical & Computer Engineering
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines The Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research and The Petroleum Institute into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering. Khalifa University of Science and Technology endeavors to be a leader among research intensive universities of the 21st century, while catalyzing the growth of Abu Dhabi and the UAE’s rapidly developing knowledge economy.
- A Research Associate position is available at Khalifa University of Science and Technology (Abu Dhabi, UAE) under the project related to a low temperature Polymer Electrolyte Membrane (PEM) fuel cell modeling and control. The project will involve: (i) Development of a detailed non-linear model of the PEM fuel cell, particularly using the approaches to the modeling of complex electrical and thermo-dynamic components developed within the process control group of the Khalifa University; (ii) Development and design of the model-based control of PEM fuel cell system; (iii) Implementation of the complete system and experimental testing.
- To provide high quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research aimed at publication thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
- Ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication.
- Participation in this research project may be transitional towards PhD studies. RA tries their best to acquire the skills necessary to advance their career with guidance from the advisor/post-doctoral fellow. High level of motivation for advancing the research is a must.
- The required skills include, but are not limited to, the ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written formats, the ability to assist in master level research works, the ability to establish contacts and network with colleagues pursuing a similar research agenda, the ability to assist in graduate level courses.
- Program codes realizing the design control algorithms which lead to the control objectives;
- Design an experimental prototype of a PEM fuel cell system for a mobile (automotive) application;
- Work on the procurement of fuel cell stack, auxiliary components and experimental set-up preparation;
- Work on the assembly and installation of instruments;
- Develop real-time controllers for the fuel cell system;
- Support in writing project reports, research articles, proposals, and presenting research achievements at conferences/seminars as well as filing possible patent application out of the project results;
- Assist in supervising undergraduate/graduate students working on tasks relevant to the project.
- Interested candidates should have a M. Sc. in Mechanical, Electrical, System Engineering or related discipline,
- Have knowledge of process control (basic and advanced), modeling and simulation of complex thermodynamic processes;
- The ability to formulate research problems and write scientific papers;
- A high level of personal responsibility, initiative, and ability to work in a project team with minimum guidance;
- The ability to guide UG senior and Master students in relevant topics;
- Excellent inter-personal communication skills;
- Excellent English language skills, spoken and written.
- Experience in modeling and simulation of complex electro-thermodynamic processes using Matlab/Simulink and in fuel cell modeling and control in particular,
- Experience in working with hardware and conducting experiments.
How To Apply
You will be required to attach the following:
- Passport-size photograph
- Teaching and Research Statement