Executive Communication Administrator
Classified Title: Executive Communication Administrator
Working Title: Executive Communication Administrator
Starting Salary Range: $79,864 - $109,781
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday-Friday, evening and weekend work required
Employee subgroup: Salaried Exmpt
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Department name: 10002561-SOM Admin Exec Off Gen Administration
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The Executive Communication Administrator will serve as the primary write and editorial gatekeeper for Johns Hopkins Medicine (JHM) executive communications; ensuring consistency of message, style, and tone of executive messages. The position will serve as a the liaison with the Johns Hopkins University (JHU) President’s Office, JHM Marketing & Communications, and other JHM offices and departments on communication materials including formal speeches, talking points, correspondence, newsletters, statements of opinion, public letters, and other documents.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Articulate the vision and ideas of the Dean/CEO and JHM executive leadership by conceptualizing and composing original talking points, keynote speeches, and accompanying visual materials for university and medicine events and external speaking engagements.
- Serve as a liaison to senior staff in the JHU President’s Office and JHM Marketing & Communications, including Senior Director of Communications and Public Affairs, Director of Internal Communications and Director of Media Relations.
- In partnership with other communications teams, align executive communication efforts to ensure that messages are cohesive, convey a clear strategic vision, and set the appropriate tone for the organizational culture.
- Review and edit drafts of talking points provided by other offices to ensure they reflect the voice and priorities of the Dean/CEO and the presidents of the hospital and health system.
- Oversee the development of the quarterly newsletter for trustees who sit on the Johns Hopkins Medicine, Johns Hopkins Hospital and Johns Hopkins Health System boards.
- Enhance the visibility of senior executives to advance their position as global thought leaders in health care. Working in partnership with the Media Relations team, vet and pursue media opportunities, including public appearances and op-eds.
- Working in partnership with the Marketing & Communications team, develop social media content for senior executives.
- Draft departmental review reports and other sensitive documents.
- Identify and develop new vehicles to tell engaging stories and share best practices with the entire Johns Hopkins Medicine community and to build relationships with front-line staff.
- Collect pertinent information to write various communication materials by researching and conducting interviews.
- Monitor and analyze developments and major issues in academic medical centers to ensure they are appropriately addressed and articulated.
- Attend executive speaking engagements on a regular basis and provide feedback.
- Coordinate with event planners to gather event information and to ensure that briefings for the Dean/CEO’s speaking engagements are consistent with remarks prepared for the Dean/CEO.
- Ensure that all prepared remarks and other public statements, including those prepared by other offices, are accurate, fact-checked and proofed.
- Communicate information of a highly complex nature in a clear, precise, and compelling way.
- Uphold brand standards while creating dynamic and well thought out presentations tailored for a variety of audiences.
- Develop and sustain contacts with university and medicine leadership, faculty, staff, and other constituents.
Bachelor degree and seven or more years of related writing experience. Advanced knowledge of writing within a specialized field, with a Master degree in that field preferred. Advanced degree is preferred. Evening and weekend work is required.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Ability to synthesize and analyze information quickly
- Ability to maintain the utmost discretion and diplomacy in interacting with high-level individuals
- Ability to work independently on multiple demanding assignments
- Advanced knowledge of grammar usage and editorial style guidelines
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, meeting deadlines while balancing competing priorities
- Ability to maintain confidences and discreet, tactful behavior at all times.
** When applying please submit writing samples **
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information