Classified Title: Senior Accountant
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F, 8:30am - 5:00pm
Employee subgroup: Salaried Exmpt
Location: 45-MD:JH at Keswick
Department name: 10001590-University Tax
Personnel area: University Administration
Requires knowledge of accounting principles and tax laws, particularly tax laws related to tax-exempt organizations. Prepares IRS Form 990, 990-T, foreign filings, and various state income tax returns. Prepares reports, account reconciliations, apportionment information, and journal entries as part of return preparation. Analyzes partnership K-1s for unrelated business income. Prepare quarterly income tax estimates as needed. Review state correspondence and draft response letters as needed. Interest in developing and/or advancing knowledge in tax laws related to nonresident aliens (NRAs) (international students and scholars). Interest in developing and/or advancing knowledge in international tax matters.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Preparation of IRS Form 990 and related schedules for the university and its affiliates.
- Preparation of IRS Form 990-T and related schedules for the university and its affiliates.
- Preparation of state income tax returns and related schedules for the university and its affiliates.
- Other responsibilities.
- Support NRA tax matters.
- Employee classification reviews.
- Other special tax projects.
Minimum qualifications (mandatory):
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, Finance or related field.
- Three years of progressively responsible related work experience.
- If Bachelor’s degree is in unrelated field, four years of progressively responsible experience is required.
Additional education may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting with at least four years related work experience strongly preferred.
Special knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of the unrelated business income rules for tax-exempt organizations.
- Knowledge of the laws and regulations that apply to employment tax and taxable income.
- Knowledge of federal partnership tax rules.
- Ability to understand the university’s accounting system.
- Proficiency in preparing complex worksheets using advance Microsoft Excel features, relational databases, statistical packages, and graphics packages to assemble, manipulate, and format data and/or reports.
- Ability to interact with employees, students, and personnel from other departments.
- Effective writing and communication skills.
- Detail oriented with strong project management skills.
- Proficiency in workpaper documentation skills.
- Past bookkeeping or audit experience.
- Ability to perform tasks independently.
Technical qualifications or specialized certifications:
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information