Research Scientist in Physics
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines The Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research and The Petroleum Institute into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering. Khalifa University of Science and Technology endeavors to be a leader among research intensive universities of the 21st century, while catalyzing the growth of Abu Dhabi and the UAE’s rapidly developing knowledge economy.
- To provide high quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research aimed at publication thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
- Since the Research Scientist, experience is transitional to becoming an independent researcher or faculty member, the Research Scientist tries their best to acquire the varied skills necessary to advance their career with guidance from the advisor. These skills include, but are not limited to, the ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication, the ability to understand research group management and supervision of others, the ability to establish contacts and network with colleagues pursuing a similar research agenda, the ability to organize and teach a class or a course if more inclined towards a teaching career.
- Lead the effort in synthesis and control of nanoparticles and their surface properties.
- Lead the effort to design and conduct experiments involving the phase behavior of protein-nanoparticle dispersions.
- Help design and carry out protein crystallization experiments.
- Help in the formulation of nanoparticle-protein dispersions.
- Participate in (or lead) X-ray beamline experiments.
- Present and publish in international peer-reviewed conferences and journals.
- Assist in the building and maintaining of new (and existing) lab infrastructure.
- Assist in the training of graduate students.
- A PhD in soft condensed matter physics, colloid chemistry, materials science, protein biophysics, or a related field is required. Postdoctoral research experience is preferable.
- Candidates with research experience in nanomaterials, particle synthesis, protein structure, or broad spectrum multi-technique nanoscale measurement characterization are highly desired and encouraged to apply. Experience with light or X-ray scattering, electron microscopy, UV-vis spectroscopy, and/or AFM, macromolecular chemistry, crystallization experiments, and/or protein biochemisty are will add greatly to a candidate’s application. A successful application should explicitly specify the skills the candidate brings to the project, and reference letters should address these skills.
How To Apply
You will be required to attach the following:
- Passport-size photograph
- Teaching and Research Statement