Business Services Analyst
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Department: Institute for Genetic Medicine
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday/8:30-5p/37.5 hours
Location: East Baltimore
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The Business Services Analyst position assists in project management, billing/financial analysis, operations support, and reporting for Johns Hopkins Genomics. The position aligns operations to meet the needs of patient care (clinical genetic testing) while also supporting the research and Service Center missions of the division.
Johns Hopkins Genomics comprises five labs from two departments, the Institute of Genetic Medicine and the Department of Pathology. Laboratories include three from IGM – DNA Diagnostic Lab, Center for Inherited Disease Research, and Genetic Resources Core Facility – and two from Pathology’s Division of Molecular Pathology – the Molecular Diagnostics Lab and Cytogenetics. With a direct reporting relationship to the Administrator of the IGM and project accountability to Lab Directors and the Administrator of Pathology, the Business Services Analyst is responsible for performing project management, financial analysis, billing analysis and operational support for labs across Johns Hopkins Genomics. The position will supervise interns and residents as well as coordinators and analysts. This job includes presentation and participation in executive meetings, leadership forums, user groups, and physician outreach.
The incumbent will coordinate at the Lab Divisional, Departmental, and SOM Executive level to advance the tripartite mission of research, education, and patient care. Sharing expertise and collaborating closely with a broad spectrum of individuals across the Hopkins enterprise, this position has a far-reaching impact touching clinical testing, business development, system integration, data analytics, quality improvement, and more.
Specific duties & responsibilities:
- Work with laboratory divisions to meet operational targets and to help develop, implement and maintain financial and operational performance improvement initiatives.
- Assist in the development of business plans, financial analyses, market analyses, and other service analysis to evaluate and support strategic initiatives.
- Develop, implement and evaluate comprehensive project plans for identified opportunities – establish project goals, objectives and outcomes as needed, secure leadership support and endorsement, determine a project timeline to accomplish identified goals with milestones, consider organizational needs by identifying necessary resources, and work with a team of project participants.
- Lead, facilitate, and support meetings and committees as appropriate.
- Work collaboratively with Lab Directors, Lab Managers, Genetic Counselors, the IGM Clinic leadership, Administrative support, and billing units to optimize clinical genetic test menu, authorization workflow, billing models, and reporting results in Epic and other databases.
- Assist the IGM Administrator in the development of volume, expense and capital budgets for each lab division in JH Genomics.
- Work collaboratively with the IGM Financial team to develop and implement financial and operational policies for JH Genomics.
- Routinely assess clinical test volumes across JH Genomics and report on trends and variances.
- Engage and partner with Pathology Administration to develop inter-departmental resource solutions including shared staff positions, shared equipment, and workflows for clinical test orders flowing through Pathology to JH Genomics.
- Assist faculty and laboratory leadership in the communication and implementation of existing, new and/or revised administrative policies, guidelines and protocols involving clinical laboratory operations.
- Assist the JH Genomics Quality Management Supervisor in the coordination of Division response to major facility issues, internal disasters, and Business Continuity Planning.
- Assist in the development of strategies to maintain and improve compliance with all appropriate regulatory and accrediting bodies (e.g. CAP, CLIA, NY State, The Joint Commission) in all areas of operations, including personnel management, facilities, workflows, etc.
- Ad hoc/short term operational projects as assigned.
- Prepare timely and accurate ad hoc analysis/reports such as staffing level, test volumes, space utilization, equipment inventory, access/capacity, new clinical test initiative, business plans, professional fee and hospital billing assessments and payer mix, etc.
- Assist in the assessment, selection, and implementation of clinical database and software systems such as new Epic modules, clinical LIMS, phenoDb, etc.
- Work collaboratively with JH Genomics IT Leadership to the mission of consistent, reliable, and compliant operations of all IT systems including servers (on site data center), network, firewall, and encrypted device use.
- Make recommendations to leadership based on data that is analyzed and develop presentations.
- Assist in the development of the annual JH Genomics budget and projections. Responsible for assisting in control of established budgets by reconciling budget information and changes, monthly reporting of budget and updated projections to each laboratory division, reviewing and reconciling the shared JH Genomics account, and extracting and analyzing financial data to assist in management of the overall JH Genomic roll-up budget.
- Perform comprehensive financial analysis relating to business plans to improve Division financial effectiveness and compliance with JHU, JHH and/or agency regulations and restrictions.
- Assist in developing business plans for revenue enhancement or new lines of business. Evaluate the financial performance of existing programs and create financial performance reports. Develop financial proposals for programs as needed.
- Expectation to investigate and perform constant financial improvement/projects with the goal of increasing operating margin on clinical testing and optimizing collections from clinical, research, and service center billing in JH Genomics.
- Train new and existing finance/administrative staff to complete monthly financial reporting requirements.
- Meet routinely with Department (IGM and Pathology) and Division (JH Genomics labs) leadership to share financial results, discuss areas of improvement, and propose plans to address weaknesses. Regularly attend weekly JH Genomics leadership meetings. Organize JH Genomics All Staff meetings at least twice per year and present financial and operational updates. Participate as needed in individual laboratory meetings.
Bachelor’s in Health or Business Administration and three years health care or laboratory experience.
Master’s degree preferred.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
School of Medicine - East Baltimore Campus