Senior Clinical Nurse
Classified Title: Senior Clinical Nurse
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday/8:30-5p/37.5 hours
Location: East Baltimore
Personnel area: School of Medicine
This position will serve as part of a comprehensive team of health care professionals providing high quality outpatient care in the Department of Dermatology, in both general dermatology and dermatology surgery clinics. Under the direction of the Clinic Manager, JHOC Dermatology Surgery Medical Director, and JHOC General Dermatology Medical Director the Sr. Clinical Nurse will have the following responsibilities below.
Specific duties & responsibilities:
- Supervise staff as assigned; assist with providing schedule management for CMA and RN staff, training and competency evaluation for medical staff
- Work closely with and provide leadership to RNs, medical assistants, lab technicians, and clerical staff to maintain patient safety, care, confidentiality and appropriate follow-up treatment.
- Spearhead regulatory and sterile compliance in both medical and surgical areas in accordance with, but not limited to, Joint Commission and JHH / JHU standards.
- Develop protocols related to the clinical operations for General Dermatology & Dermatology Surgery clinical areas.
- Identify barriers to service and create solutions to ensure timely, safe, patient-centered care.
- Provide crisis intervention as needed, and triage complex cases; practice case management and treatment programs to ensure longitudinal care for patients, and coordinate scheduling of complicated patient treatment courses within the divisions of Dermatology.
- Assist physicians in the clinic including: patient intake and history, preparing supplies/room/patient for procedures or clinic visits.
- Assist physicians during minor surgery and procedures including but not limited to biopsies, injections, laser treatments, excisions, photopheresis, and phototherapy in accordance with Maryland Board of Nursing guidelines.
- Manage Nursing Resource Center (NRC) including:
- Ensure patient and physician calls are returned in a timely manner, and all patient interactions are documented appropriately in Epic.
- Function as liaison between dermatologists, primary care providers, nurse case managers, inpatient personnel and health care professionals in other specialties.
- Triage pages to the ROD pager, responding as needed, or forwarding a detailed message to the appropriate physician.
- Answer questions from patients regarding physician instructions, medications, prescription refills, biopsy results, and/or other aspects of clinical care.
- Retrieve lab results, coordinate physician sign-off of results, and call patients with results according to clinic protocol.
- Provide patient education regarding disease processes, medications, etc.
- Assist in photographic documentation of patients using a comprehensive image management system. Obtain consent for photographs.
- Assist and/or oversee preparation of materials and solutions related to specimen preparation for skin biopsies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Individual must be a registered nurse, licensed in the State of Maryland or state where practicing. Bachelor's degree in nursing or related discipline required. Requires minimum of two years of related nursing experience. Current American Heart Association or American Red Cross CPR certification required. Must maintain current licensure and certification during duration of employment. Acceptable completion of the JHH or BMC credentialing process is required within two weeks of start date.
Additional experience preferred and may substitute for bachelor's degree. Related master's degree may be considered in lieu of experience.
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information