Classified Title: Data Analyst
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm
Employee subgroup: Salaried Exmpt
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Department name: 60007476-IT@JH Technology Innovation Center
Personnel area: University Administration
This position is responsible for configuration, design and implementation of dashboard and analytic tools to support visual representation of operational and clinical data. This position will work with multiple data sources that may be integrated in the semantic layers, ETL systems, databases or visualization layers, and collaborate with the data warehouse team on semantic layer construction, data models, data marts and databases.
Specific duties & responsibilities:
- Perform data analysis and extract insights from trends on operational metrics to help improve Department operational activities.
- Interface with internal business stakeholders to understand data needs and uses around data analytics and reporting.
- Enriches data with classifications and roll-ups to support analytics; building expressions and calculations; working with stewards to clearly define and document definitions and metadata
- Solves complex technical problems related to dashboard design and business intelligence tools
- Work with business and IT management to understand and prioritize data and information needs
- Gather requirements and use cases from end users for visualization of data
- Carry out professional documentation of projects
- Understand and develop KPIs with project champions
- Responsible for advanced ad-hoc analytics, including modeling of multi fact and dimensional model.
- Design and construct data visualizations
- Perform data validation tests to ensure quality
- Document data flow through our clinical data warehouse
Minimum qualifications (mandatory):
Bachelor's degree in Statistics, Economics, Computer Science or related discipline required. Three years of related experience Additional education (Master's level) may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- Strong project management skills and have experience in influencing and/or working on teams.
- Two to five years of experience in an application development environment or have experience with application development tools such as SQL, Business Objects, Tableau and etc.
- Previous experience in healthcare is a huge plus.
Special knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Working with data warehousing team to develop data warehouses and data marts as needed
- Define and lead requirements gathering & use cases to communicate business requirements to data warehousing team
- Coordinates coaching and training developers on how effectively and efficiently utilize data visualization in business intelligence tools
- Experience creating data models.
- Working knowledge of database principles, processes, technologies and tools.
- Effective written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Experience with clinical data (such as HEDIS measures) is a plus.
- Advanced Excel skills
- Self-motivated; comfortable working independently under general direction.
Technical qualifications or specialized certifications:
- General understanding of analytics and data modeling.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information