The Department of Psychiatry seeks a Nurse Practitioner to work collaboratively and in accordance with established policies, evaluates patients in Psychiatry Emergency Department.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform comprehensive assessments of patients triaged to the Psychiatry Emergency Service to include a history and physical, mental status examination and contact with collateral sources.
- Coordinate communication between the psychiatry physicians, nursing staff and emergency medicine physicians.
- Assess patient’s needs for medication and order tests and other assessments to determine appropriateness for admission versus discharge from the emergency department.
- Coordinate hand offs between providers at change of shift and prior to inpatient admission.
- Ensure safe patient transport to the inpatient unit for admissions and communicate with next provider of record.
- Master's degree in nursing; Registered Nurse license and Certified as a Nurse Practitioner.
- Must be licensed as NP in State of Maryland or other state where practicing.
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years psychiatry and ED care experience preferred.
- Current CPR certification required.
- Must maintain current licensure and certification during duration of employment.
- Completion of the JHH credentialing process is required prior to start date.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced clinical skills in specialty area or equivalent. Advanced interpersonal skills necessary to communicate effectively with all members of the interdisciplinary health care team to enhance collaboration and problem solving.
- Ability to incorporate into practice theoretical concepts and advanced clinical skills with patients, families, and interdisciplinary health care team members.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, in order to provide information to patients and health care personnel. Ability to function effectively in a fluid, dynamic, and rapidly changing environment.
- General computer knowledge and capability to use computer.
Sitting, standing and walking for extended periods. Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction. Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s). Ability to move standard equipment through a hospital or clinical environment.
Requisition # 8869
Starting Salary Range: Competitive; Commensurate with experience
Status: Full Time, Varying hours
School/Division: School of Medicine
Location: School of Medicine, East Baltimore Campus
Location State: MD
Resume Required for Application: Yes
Area of Interest: Clinical / Medical
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information: