Senior Associate Director of Development
Classified Title: Sr. Development Officer
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Status: Full Time
School: School of Medicine
Location: School of Medicine Campus
Location City: Baltimore
Location State: MD
Resume Required for Application: Yes
Area of Interest: Development
The Senior Associate Director of Development will be responsible for the planning, implementation and management of major and principal fundraising efforts for the benefit of The Brady from friends, grateful patients, and alumni.
Working with senior development staff members across Johns Hopkins, faculty, administrators, and volunteer leaders, the Senior Associate Director will identify, strategize, cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of prospects.
This position will supervise The Brady’s Development Coordinator, including all gift processing and acknowledgment functions for the office. Travel is associated with this role.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the research, teaching and clinical programs and priorities of Johns Hopkins University, the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, and The Brady Urological Institute, in order to represent these needs both internally and externally.
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 100 prospects with the goal to personally solicit, or arrange for volunteer or institutional solicitation, for major gifts to fund the priority needs of The Brady. The focus will be on gifts in the range of $100,000 to $3+ million.
- Serve as primary development liaison to a group of approximately 10 urology faculty members. Hold recurring meetings to encourage faculty participation in development activities; secure faculty referrals for potential patient/prospects; coordinate faculty participation in prospect solicitations and stewardship. Keep development team current on faculty research initiatives and funding priorities.
- Complete 80 or more meaningful prospect and donor visits per year. Performance targets also include benchmarks for funds raised, proposals developed and submitted, among others.
- Work with faculty and volunteers to identify and evaluate giving potential of prospects through personal visits and research, develops and implements appropriate cultivation and solicitation strategies, including cultivation events.
- Prepare and direct preparation of case statements, major proposals, outreach and solicitation letters, and other cultivation and informational material for prospects and donors.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of all development procedures of the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions and The Brady Urological Institute.
- Represent The Brady in internal and external committees and advisory groups.
- Supervise the Development Coordinator, including management of gift processing, acknowledgments, and data reporting, to ensure annual goals are met.
- Assist with the planning and coordination of major development events including professorship dedications and donor recognition dinners, as needed.
- Supervise development staff during director’s vacations and absences.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Five or more years of professional development experience, including personal solicitations of major gifts, with a documented record of productivity, preferably in an academic/medical setting. Some planned giving experience preferred.
- Two or more years of supervisory experience preferred.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent, organizational, interpersonal, and writing skills required, as well diplomacy and tact.
- Ability to thrive in an extremely fast paced environment is essential.
The Senior Associate Director must possess effective communications skills, be highly organized, have strong written and analytical skills, and be capable of developing solid relationships with faculty and grateful patients.
The candidate must have significant high-end major gift development experience including the direct, personal solicitation of prospects. Supervisory experience is preferred.
This individual must be able to manage several projects simultaneously, understand the need to re-evaluate priorities on a regular basis, and flourish in a fastpaced atmosphere.
A team mentality with a willingness to collaborate is necessary.