Surgical Training Technician
Salary: $15.77 - $21.68/Hour
Status: Full Time
School: School of Medicine
Location: School of Medicine Campus
Location City: Baltimore
Location State: MD
Resume Required for Application: Yes
Area of Interest: Research / Lab
Surgical Training/Education Laboratory technician for Minimally Invasive Surgical Training and Innovation Center (MISTIC).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Anesthetization and monitoring of animals - includes multiple-species intravenous catheter placement, intubation, monitoring of vital parameters, and euthanasia. This includes administering IM injections, placing IV catheters, placing endotracheal tubes, performing venous and arterial cut downs, and properly connection of animals to the anesthesia machine.
- This also involves heavy lifting, up to 60 pounds unassisted. Responsible for monitoring animals while they are under anesthesia during surgery. This includes troubleshooting any issues occurring during surgery. Also, post-surgical care and monitoring of animals as needed.
- Maintenance and troubleshooting of anesthetic and surgical instrumentation and equipment. Ensuring appropriate dosing of drugs including sedatives and those used in emergency situations. Included in this duty is keeping accurate and detailed records of drugs used and received in the center
- Responsible for being a surgical assistant during all courses. This includes having general knowledge of the procedure being done and what equipment is necessary for the success of that procedure as well as a knowledge of different types of suture and their indicated uses.
- Responsible for all laparoscopic equipment including cameras, camera boxes, scopes, light cords and sources, insufflators, non-disposable laparoscopic instruments, and disposable laparoscopic instruments. This duty includes the ability to know the instruments well enough to instruct participants on their use and to properly disassemble and clean them.
- Responsible for “sterile processing”. This includes making sure all instruments are cleaned and packs are properly assembled and sterilized. Working knowledge of all instruments in MISTC general surgery pack and knowledge of the uses of hand instruments. Experience with, understands, and can perform aseptic techniques and aseptic barrier techniques. Use and maintenance (when possible) of cleaning and sterilization equipment - Steris Washer, Autoclaves, and SterisOne processor.
- Responsible for set up of all lab courses. This includes knowledge of a variety of surgical equipment and making sure surgeons and other course participants have everything they need when they need it. This also includes the knowledge of specific instruments and equipment needed for different courses, both animate (multi-species and cadaveric) and inanimate.
- Responsible for cleanup of the lab after courses. This includes disinfecting all equipment, thoroughly washing all instrument, animal disposal, and general maintenance such as mopping the lab.
- Facility Maintenance including placement of work orders as needed for facility upkeep and service orders for maintenance of laboratory equipment with outside vendors
- Safety Responsibilities Knowledge of proper biosafety precautions when dealing with transport and clean up of human cadaveric specimens, animal specimens, and chemical and cleaning agents used the hospital setting. Administrative Responsible for keeping track of lab supply inventory and ordering the appropriate supplies when needed. Responsible for updating the MISTC calendar and log of the center’s usage.
- Able to operate MISTC videoconferencing equipment i.e. projector operation, sending information to lab and making sure MISTC lecture room users know how to properly operate the equipment.
- Support the set-up and use of the Intuitive daVinci robot, as needed.
Education: AS / AA in veterinary technology or related field required. Comparable veterinary clinical experience can be substituted for educational requirements. BS/BA in biological sciences preferred.
Experience: Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a research facility preferred. Additional
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge of facility management Good communication and problem solving skills