Research Program Assistant
Starting Salary Range: $11.95 - $16.44
Employee group: Full time
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Position Type: New
Schedule (hours/days): 40.0
Location: Bayview Medical Campus
Department: Medicine - Pulmonary
Work Schedule/Hours: Monday-Friday / 8:30-5:00 p.m. Full Time
Personnel area: School of Medicine
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Will be involved in data collection, entry and management functions in clinical research.
- Collect data from study participants at JHU while controlling data quality and maintaining research integrity.
- Set up and take down equipment for environmental monitoring
- Maintain and sanitize equipment and supply inventory
- Identify appropriate patients for clinical studies
- Obtain informed consent from eligible patients
- Collect data via abstraction from paper and electronic medical records
- Call participants with reminders of their appointments
- Post appointments to research calendars
- Data entry, management and calculations using computerized database, word processing and spreadsheet software; review data input for accuracy and completeness
- Maintain logs of patient screening, surveys and visits
- Maintain filing system for electronic and paper-based research records
- Maintain compliance with HIPAA and IRB regulations and guidelines
- Actively communicate and update supervising study coordinators and/or investigators on patient enrollment and data collection status via verbal and written communication
- Send participants’ test results requiring follow-up to their health care providers via fax or email at their request
- Have initiative in anticipating and responding to staff and research subjects’ needs based on awareness of routine and repeated job functions
- Maintain high level of motivation for job functions with positive attitude
- Attend regular research group meetings (weekly or monthly)
- Communicate with study sponsors, coordinators and collaborators
- Escort patients through hospital during their research visit
- Perform basic procedures during participants’ clinic visits, including taking vital signs and anthro pometric measurements, conducting Pulmonary Function Tests, administering surveys, and conducting additional procedures once trained
- Literature search & organize data for research manuscripts
- Prepare materials for submission of applications and renewals and maintain communication with the Jo hns Hopkins IRB, GCRC, and all related committees
- Under supervision, perform Quality Assurance activities related to research protocols
- Use the JHU Clinical Research Management System (CRMS) to design clinical study tools. This will include design of study calendars and case report forms, all for use via a web-based research infrastructure.
- Develop and modify case report forms as needed.
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and ensure SOPs are followed
- Track petty cash payments to study participants.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and work on multiple tasks with concurrent deadlines and demonstrate excellent time management skills and efficiency
High school diploma required.
All IRB-required courses must be completed and appropriate exams passed with necessary certification within 2 weeks of start date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information: